Hedge clipper/trimmer suggestions wanted

Old 10-01-02, 06:14 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Hedge clipper/trimmer suggestions wanted

I had a small (16" or smaller) electric hedge/bush trimmer that I was given by a family member. This weekend it gave up the ghost (wouldn't turn off, then smoke started coming from the motor when I yanked the cord), so it's time for a new one.

I'm not sure what to get as a replacement - I know I want electric, since my yard isn't that big and 2-cycle gas engines are just a pain to deal with. I have a mixture of small shrubs and massive (8-10 feet tall) hedges that I have to trim.

I've looked online at standalone trimmers and also the hedge trimmer attachment for Ryobi Trimmer Plus equipment (I have the 137r). The attachment is more expensive, has a smaller blade length (16" vs 20-22"), but I'm wondering if it would help me cut the big hedges better. Anyone have any experience with one?

Don't have a real preference on add-on vs separate, just want to get something that will do the job.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-02, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Zathrus!

I moved your post to the tools forum. This is because the small engine forum deals with gasoline-powered small engines, and you are inquiring about an electric tool. The thread is visible, however, from both forums. This way you are more likely to be connected to the people with the answers you are looking for. Thanks for posting!

Old 10-03-02, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
Zathrus:
I too am not overly fond of two cycle engines but am also not impressed with the electric yard tools I have bought in the past.
Even before buying a small place in the country my B&D hedge trimmer and my Remington electric chain saw gave awfull performance. The B&D electric trimmer would stall out on any branch bigger than a pencil and the electric chain saw cut fine but was cheaply made.
The Homelite gas hedge trimmer I bought has been a delight to use. It starts right away and can cut anything that fits between the teeth.
If you use a proper oil mix and drain the fuel tank in the fall you would probably get good service from gas equipment.