tile cutter

Old 10-03-02, 08:31 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
tile cutter

i've got an MK-370 tile cutter, and i REALLY like it, but i have a question . . . actually, it might just be a question about cutting tile in general, with a diamond wet saw.

when i start or finish a cut, the saw seems to take an extra little chip out of the tile. the water's definitely flowing everything, but i'm wondering if there's just some little "trick" i don't know about to keep this from happening??

also, when using a saw like this (blade hangs and there's a rolling tray where the tile lays), is it better to cut the tile with the finish side UP or DOWN??

thanks in advance for any help / advice!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-02, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have this same tile saw and have never had a problem with chipout at the first of the cut, however upon exiting the tile in the rear I do sometimes get a chip. Just try to enter the cut very gradually and exit with a minmum of pressure. I have also found that the water supply works better since I extended the pump line to allow the pump to be placed in a sheetrock mud bucket of water. That way I don't recirculate the coolant through the pump and it seems to flow better. Of course, you have to empty the saw tray as it fills with the slurry. Unless the cut is a peculiar one, I always cut with the glazed face of the tile up to minimize chipping of the glaze. Isn't tile setting satisfying??

Old 10-08-02, 05:28 PM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
thanks for the response!! i finished up the cutting this weekend, went VERY slow, and it went really well. also, had to blow out my pump line, since i wasn't getting enough water.

have you ever made any end compound cuts with this saw?? i came up with a (crappy) little jig, but i wanted to see if you have a better idea??

thanks again!!

Old 10-09-02, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, I've never had to make any compound cuts. Do you mean for use on an outside corner? For that I just use bull nose tile. Or are you doing some decorative work and need mitered joints as in framing an opening?

Old 10-09-02, 06:20 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
these were for outside and inside corners.

i did come up with a little jig, but the tiles were SMALL, so my fingers were REAL close to that blade!