Tool Sharpening Station

Old 10-13-02, 07:08 PM
ishwardave
Visiting Guest
Smile Tool Sharpening Station

Sometime ago, I was watching "New Yankee Workshop" TV show and Norm Abram was showing how to build a sharpening station and it was very impressive. He used a variable speed (slow speed) grinder with tool attachment to adjust and guide the tool that needs to be sharpened. I would want to buy the tool, however I do not know the make and model number of it and where one can purchase from.
Please help if any one has information.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-02, 08:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Dave. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and my Sharpening forum.

Commerical quality shop machinery can be located in many welding supply retail stores. Other locations are machine tool suppliers and distributors retail store locations and catalogues.

Visiting small machine shops and local saw and tool sharpening shops often helps to obtain sources for both commerical and residential machinery.

A local phone book will provide several sources under several different topics. Spending some time reading the pages will help to identify the sources.

A library will have several sources references and plenty of magazines on sharpening and machinery trade magazines etc.

I am currently plum out of additional info to help you further at this time. Mostly because I am in the trade. Being as such, you could say I am in the woods and can't see the trees...LOL!

Regards and Good Luck.
Do-It-Yourself Forum Host &
Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-15-02, 02:07 PM
Saw the same show. The brand name is Tormek and go out to www.rockler.com and they have it.

Old 10-20-02, 11:24 AM
walli
Visiting Guest
tormek

that machine is available from woodcraft, www.woodcraft.com.
it isn't cheap about $400 for the base machine
they offer 5 packages(different assc.) from $520-$829
it is an excellent machine. some alternatives are availabe from Makita & Delta, these are grinders with built in water baths
hpoe this was some help

Old 10-21-02, 05:48 PM
Saw the show!

Try search on Rockler.com site and type in Tormek. I believe it is the sharpener we saw.

Old 10-22-02, 02:01 PM
It's amazing that we all knew far too much about this to be able to name it by just mentioning that it was on New Yankee. We all have spent far too much time with tool catalogs to be able to identify the thing by sight.