Which hammerdrill to buy?

Old 10-29-02, 05:40 PM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
Which hammerdrill to buy?

My husband wants to upgrade to a hammer drill from his regular drill, but the trouble is, he doesn't know what to look for in one. Right now he's got a regular 9.6-volt cordless drill (Dewalt), so he obviously wants something more powerful. But he's not a contractor or anything--this is just for home use (we do a lot of renovations and such, though). I think he's partial to Dewalt since that's the brand of his current drill and it's held up really well.

So... tips? suggestions? What torque should he get? How many volts? What about RPMs? BPMs? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-02, 06:04 PM
Get a three-eights inch hammerdrill. The cord model may ba cheaper. They are great for the limited uses for a hammer drill. If he wants to set large bolts into concrete slabs, 1/2" may be better. Otherwise, the 3/8" will drill many routine holes in concrete slabs, and lots of holes in cinder block and brick.

Old 10-30-02, 04:17 AM
If you're looking for a corded model, I bought a Milwaukee 1-1/2 years ago. The great thing about it is that you can switch back and forth between the hammer drill and regular drill function, so it does the work of 2 drills. It's 1/2", variable speed, and has lots of power. Can't remember the price, but I want to say it was around $150 at Home Depot.

Bruce

Old 10-30-02, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
dynagirl :
I think that a corded model would be your best bet considering power and cost. Be sure it is variable speed with a two speed gear box and a hammer select switch. Make sure the lower speed is 900 RPM or slower to allow for drilling steel
Also a 1/2 inch chuck would allow the use of larger bits.
These specs would make it an all purpose drill.

Old 10-30-02, 11:43 PM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the advice on the specs and such. He's definitely planning to get a cordless, though. Sounds like 1/2" is the best way to go and the switchable (from hammer to regular) is something I hadn't even thought about. I just assumed it would do that!

Two more questions. How important is the extra handle that many fo them seem to have? Seems like a good idea, but those also seem to be higher priced. Also, what about volts? Would 14.4 be okay or do you think 18 is better for going through brick and cinderblock (the most likely things he'd use it for)?

Old 10-31-02, 04:49 AM
dynagirl,
It's highly unlikely you'll even need a hammer drill for home use.
Normal drill with carbide masonry bit will usually get by and go thru brick or block easily on any hole 1/2" or less.
In 16 yrs I've rented one HD for home, and we use one occasionally for installing satelite dish systems. Used when going through one foot or more of brick/concrete.
But if you're set on a cordless convertible, get the higher voltage with the side handle.

fred

Old 10-31-02, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
dynagirl:
The side handle is normally supplied on higher powered drills. It is needed because the drill is powerfull enough to twist your wrist or be spun out of your grip if the bit jams.

Old 11-03-02, 05:53 AM
Dewalt has a 18V drill that will go from regular drill to hammer drill. Best of both worlds. Comes with 2 batteries, charger, and case.
Runs around $279, but will last a life time for the work you are describing.

I have several drills of which my Dewalt is one. The one I use almost everyday is what Bruce described with the Milwaukee. I consider this one a good drill.

Old 11-03-02, 05:16 PM
The 18 volt DeWalt is fine, but it may be a bit of overkill for as much as it will get used. DeWalt also makes a 14.4 volt hammer drill, (DW996K2) with a 1/2" ratchet chuck, that has worked just fine for me for the past 3 years.

Old 11-11-02, 11:59 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by notuboo
Dewalt has a 18V drill that will go from regular drill to hammer drill. Best of both worlds. Comes with 2 batteries, charger, and case.
Runs around $279, but will last a life time for the work you are describing.
This is actually the one we've decided to go with. It may be more powerful than we need, but for the difference in price between this and the 14.4v, it seemed better to go ahead and get the 18v. We've both got regular drills for everyday use, but have recently had a few occasions to drill through brick and concrete and they just didn't have the gusto--made the job very diffcult (and we have another project we'll need it for soon). So the hammer drill is an expense we may not need, but we're always looking for a good excuse to buy a new tool

Thanks for all the input everyone. It definitely helped in making our selection.

Old 11-16-02, 10:02 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
We finally ordered a hammer drill! After reading some customer reviews at amazon.com, we ended up NOT getting the DeWalt (very mixed reviews--seems to have lots of problems). So my husband went with an 18v Milwaukee instead. Should be here in a few days. I'll have to let you all know how he likes it once he tries it out.

Old 11-16-02, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Congratulations!

dynagirl:
You have in my opinion bought the Cadillac (Lincoln,Imperial) of brands.
A year ago I was being forced to buy a cordless reciprocating saw because our telephone utility was not allowing corded tools in their computer switch rooms.
I almost bought a Black and Decker Firestorm, as it was the cheapest thing I could find.
On my way to pick it up I stopped into a local pawnshop to find a BRAND NEW 18 volt Milwaukee recip with two batteries. I paid one third of retail price for it.
It is now one of my favorite tools and travels with me everywhere.
Would have gladly paid retail if I knew how handy it would be.

Enjoy.