How to use an electric screwdriver

Old 11-01-02, 04:55 PM
why_itsme1963
Visiting Guest
Question How to use an electric screwdriver

I am trying to assemble some curio shelves. I found I did not have the manual strength to screw them together so I bought an 18 volt cordless drill/screwdriver.

Unfortunately, there are NO instructions. I've figured out the basics of putting in the bits and charging the batteries but I'm still having problems.

I've got the direction (forward vs. reverse) set correctly.

What I don't understand is the numbers around the chuck and what they mean.

I've tried to screw the shelves together and it just doesn't seem to move the screw. And little shavings of metal are coming of the bit. (Is this normal for first time use?)

What the heck am I doing wrong?!

Old 11-01-02, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Drill pilot holes with a drill bit slightly smaller than the screws, and THEN drive the screws.
Good luck!|
Mike

Old 11-01-02, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
why_itsme1963;
Where exactly are the shavings coming from? Is it from where the bit enters the drill chuck or between the tip of the bit and the screw?
Also, the numbers around the chuck would be for the drill's release clutch. This is used to allow the drill to stop driving the screw when the tension on the screw reaches the setting you have selected.
You may have a two speed clutch on your drill. For driving screws it should be set on the slower speed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: