Installation of Compressor Drainer Kit

Old 11-02-02, 02:37 PM
papacivic
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Installation of Compressor Drainer Kit

I recently purchase a compressor drainer kit for my 12+ year old Campbell Hausfeld from Harbor Freight and the Chinese folks did not give adequate instructions for installation and I do not have an instruction manual for my compressor. I have installed the T fitting and petcock on the tank and connected the tubing to the drain assembly but cannot figure where to connect the tubing. i.e., in line with vented pressure switch, pilot valve or receiver pressure unloader or- to the discharge line unloader or combo check valve and discharge line unloader. I can't figure out what or where these items are. Can someone enlighten me- sorry about the long posting but wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-02, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
papacivic:
Check this out.
http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/compressor/

Old 11-03-02, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
papacivic:
The Campbell Hausfield compressor head that I have has a plug in the head that is connected to the discharge side of the pump.
You could connect the sensor line there if yours has this. Just make sure you use brass or steel inserts along with the ferrules on the plastic hose.
Let us know if this all makes sense.

Old 11-03-02, 12:13 PM
papacivic
Visiting Guest
Thanks for you help, I visited the web site and it helped a lot too. I get a hiss continually from the center of the drain ****/petcock and maybe I need to go out and buy a good one and install it and maybe that'll end the problem of the hiss. Thanks again!

Old 11-03-02, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
papacivic:
Did you connect the hose to a line that releases pressure on the compressor when it shuts off?

Old 11-03-02, 01:38 PM
papacivic
Visiting Guest
Greg, I hooked up the plastic line and the T to another plastic line that runs from the copper line (pressure) that goes from the compressor to the tank. Also, this plastic line I tapped into goes to a switch that turns on the motor/compressor. Did I do right?
Thansk, John

Old 11-03-02, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
papacivic:
Maybe.
I can't really tell you which line to hook up to because it depends how your unit was made.
Most pressure switches have two lines connected to them. One connection is for the switch to be able to sense tank pressure. It would be the larger one . The other is for the unloader. This line will be connected somewhere between the check valve (usually right where the compresor line connects to the tank) and the compressor head. Each time the pressure switch stops or starts the compressor, the unloader section of the pressure switch releases the pressure on the compressor discharge line, making it easier for the compressor to start. The drain valve you purchased will connect to the unloader line and at the same time the compressor unloads the drain valve will activate.
I have seen some compressor units that have a less expensive way of unloading. The manufacturer will use a check valve at the tank, but instead of an unloader they drill a small hole in a plug on the compressor head. This would allow the pressure to leak out of the discharge line whenever it shuts off. If you have this set-up, the drain valve you bought won't work