Starter tools

Old 11-04-02, 09:24 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Starter tools

Ok, I need to ask the experts. My favorite weekend shows seem to be the New Yankee Workshop, Hometime, and This Old House. I have seen many projects I would like to try, but don' t know where to start.

My main question is about tools. As for power tools, I only have a circular saw. What tools should someone who has never done any handyman work, and doesn't even know how to use the tools start out with?

thanks,
Frederick

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-02, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
fjclaus:
My feeling is that the first tool for any power tool collection would be a good quality cordless drill. A 12 volt model with a spare battery and a collection of drill and screwdriver bits would be a good place to start.

This question was recently asked here at this link.
You can also search this forum for other tool suggestions.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=106154

Old 11-13-02, 04:28 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Boy thats a loaded question. I "got by" for years with a circular saw, jig saw & drill. The first big power tool I bought was a 10" table saw. It will handle large or small cuts. The power tool I use the most is a cordless 12 volt drill. It has enough power that it can break a 3" deck screw if the torque is set too high.

Old 11-14-02, 09:57 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the replies. I have taken the advise I got, plus the previous homeowner got in the link I was given. Al thought I did put some nice power tools on my list to Santa though.

Old 11-25-02, 08:15 AM
woodchip
Visiting Guest
Norm has a good list of tools to start out with at www.newyankee.com.

Old 11-25-02, 08:46 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Thanks Wood. The New Yankee Workshop is one of my favorite shows. I watch it EVERY Saturday evening on PBS. Didn't see the list on his site last time I looked. I will have to go back.

I was actually curious about the drill he uses. I see that it is a 12 volt. So many people are telling me I need a 18 volt at least. Don't see why if Norm only uses a 12.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-02, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frederick,
12 volt drills are great for home use. Not nearly as heavy as 18 volts. And unless you're in the building trade 2 12 volt batteries are fine. My second drill was a 14.4v, but I got it mostly for the small circular saw and a second flashlight.
If you plan on any furniture or refinishing projects, a random orbit sander is a must(forget about a belt sander - they do more harm than good)

fred