Where can I find a primer on saw blades?

Old 11-12-02, 12:20 PM
Where can I find a primer on saw blades?

Hi,

I am a new homeowner and want to get into many of my own repairs, projects, etc. I've help a friend or two do things before, but overall I'm a newcomer to being a handyman. That being said, I am not afraid of taking on new projects and think I'll do fine (if I go slow enough) with most projects.

I just picked up a slightly used PC circular saw (743 - left side blade, I'm left handed) for a good price. Where can I learn about saw blades? Quality, different blades for different jobs, tips, etc.? Gonna start a tool shed building project & want to be a bit more familar with the tools before I begin.

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-02, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome

bob md:
DIY.com has the following info.

http://doityourself.com/power/circularsaw.htm

There is a lot of information on the internet. If you type "circular saw information" on google you'll get a ton of stuff.

A lot can be done with a circular saw. A friend recently got a maintenance job at a new establishment. I went to see him a couple of weeks ago and he was complaining about how his boss asked him to build an L shaped cabinet with an arborite top without having a tablesaw in their shop.
A week later I was back for coffee and found a beautifully made cabinet. Beside it was a homemade table with a circular saw sticking out through a hole cut in the top and various jigs screwed to the top.
I wouldn't think that this was making efficient use of my friend's time, but it goes to show that fancy tools don't make you a craftsman.