chain saw blades

Old 11-13-02, 10:55 AM
vectoroh31
Visiting Guest
chain saw blades

What's the secret to doing a good job on sharpening a chain saw blade? I bought the specially design file and guide, but I never get it really good. Seems I'm doomed to replacing the chain every so often.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-02, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
The trick is generally using the proper size file/stone and getting the proper angle. I sharpen the blade on mine (a chisel-tooth blade) with just a dremel tool and the right size rotary stone and it comes out razor sharp. I just eyeball the angle without any special jig.

Old 11-13-02, 08:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello vectoroh31. Welcome to my Sharpening topic.

You just may be doing a perfect job of sharpening the teeth. What you might be forgetting to do is lowering the depth gauges.

The depth gauges are the top ends of the chain links just behind the teeth. Notice the rake of the cutting tooth. It slopes slightly rearwards. Very slightly but does slope.

As you sharpen the tooth it also lowers the tooth. The depth gauges must also be lower and equal amount to the amount removed from the cutting tooth. Doing so allows the original angle to remain constant.

Failure to lower the depth gauges will cause the cutting edges to drag slightly during the cutting process and the results will be the cuttings becoming saw dust instead of tiny cut chips.

Best bet would be to purchase a sharpeners guide to saw chain sharpening book. Read and understand everything. Lots of angles to know about, why they are there and what each does.

Then practice duplicating the original angles on your chains. Once you master the technique the sharpening result will be amazing. It's all in knowing some math and angles.....

Regards and Good Luck.
Do-It-Yourself Forum Host & Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...