lpalm carver

Old 11-16-02, 04:35 AM
hi ho sliver
Visiting Guest
lpalm carver

I have a very small palm carver (veiner) that doesn't cut right, it seems to want skip across the wood, it is sharp and highly polished...the only thing I can think of is that the bevel is wrong, but I don't know what degree it should be ground at.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 08:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello AArgh and Welcome to my Sharpening forum.

The problem you described happens when the relief angle behind the cutting edge is too high. The cutting edge or surface may be sharpened correctly but the relief ange behind it is too high.

High and or incorrectly angled relief angles behind the cutting edge are coming into contact with the material to be cut or material to be surfaced.

Lowering the relief angle behind the cutting edge should correct the problem, if in fact the cutting angle is correct.

If you had the blade professionally sharpened by a local sharpening shop, return the blade for the required corrections.

If you sharpened the blade and angles, lower the relief angle behind the cutting edge first and retry the results. If little or no improvement is noted, purchase another blade and compare the angles.

The useage of machine shop bluing helps to note the cutting and relief angles on the blades, and grinding wheel contacts with the surfaces.

TIP:
Bluing does not have to be the professional bluing liquids used in machine shops. Magic markers can be used....

Regards and Good Luck. DIY Forum Host & Sharpening Forum Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Personal Business Quote:
By accurately and professionally sharpening every tool and blade that comes into my shop, creates satisfied first time customers and developes repeat customers whom are then willing to pay me outrageous prices to sharpen every tool they have....