Reel Mower Dull Blade

Old 11-24-02, 11:10 PM
GBB3156
Visiting Guest
Reel Mower Dull Blade

I'm tired of beating my lawn to death with a dull reel mower, how do you sharpen the blade? Years ago, I saw a slide along the blade sharpener, the blade stayed on the mower, does this item still exist?
Thanks, Gordon

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-02, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Gordon

One of many difficult tools to sharpen. It takes a specially designed and built machine to sharpen reel mower blades.

So much so in fact that the machine does only this sharpening procedure. And many sharpening shops do not have the machine. Most lawn mower repair shops should have such a machine but even this is not guaranteed.

On most of the commerical sharpening machines, the reel has to be removed from power reel mowers. Hand push mowers the mower is mounted upside down. A power grinder wheel is used to sharpen the blades.

The bed knife must also be removed to correctly sharpen it. Once all blades and knives are sharpened and reinstalled, the bed knive has to be adjusted to the blade so the reel cuts against the bed knife like a scissors.

The process is explained above so you and other readers of the question can understand the process and appreciated the labor required and costs involved.

So everyone can realize that many claims can be made by other types of sharpening methods and machines but none can compare to commerical power sharpening equipment designed specifically for this purpose.

In my professional opinion, no other method can produce the wanted and needed results. Reel blades and bed knives cannot be accurately nor properly sharpening by hand. It's worth every penny to have a reel mower professionally sharpened.

Regards and Good Luck. DIY Forum Host & Sharpening Forum Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Personal Business Quote:
Accurately and professionally sharpening every tool and blade that comes into my shop, creates satisfied first time customers. Doing so also developes repeat customers whom are then willing to pay me outrageous prices to sharpen every tool they have....