new craftsman air compressor leaking

Old 12-03-02, 08:09 AM
new craftsman air compressor leaking

Just bought a 30gal 6hp vertical air compressor from sears, and after having a difficult time getting it in my car (back seat) and pulling it out at home, I discovered a leak. Air is coming from the big fitting on the top of the compressor where the regulator sits. If I have to, I will take it back and get a replacement, but was wondering if it is a simple fix. I just figured that if I disconnect the tubing leading to the regulator, then either try and tighten the fitting a snitch, or remove and re-seal. Worst case, it doesn't fix the leak and I take it back to Sears. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-02, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
daronson:
If it's new you would be advised to consult with Sears if you are unsure about how to fix this.
The warranty repair guy might not be kind to you if there were wrench marks on it.

Old 12-03-02, 01:40 PM
Dave,
Bring it back and exchange it or return it, I bought one a year or so ago(Craftsman) and had a leak from the drain on the bottom, I fixed it now have a leak from the regulator like yours, wish I had exchaged it originaly. Good luck.

Dave

Old 12-04-02, 09:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Their oil free models are made by DeVilbiss and I too think I'm in for a regulator replacement. Mine is pesky and the knob has cracked .

I paid 60 bucks for mine and it was never used, but the regulator will probably have to be replaced.