flashlight ?

Old 12-03-02, 11:50 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
flashlight ?

ok this is about tools sorta,
I love mag lights, and local store has a 3d and mini mag for only 15 bucks! a deal!

SO i bought several lol, My friend tells me I shouldnt store the flashlights with the batteries in the correct polarity, because it will drain the batteries. I think hes just wrong wrong, I have no electrical engineering degree, but how can the batteries drain if theres no circuit? So my ? ( importatn as we wagered on this!)

If i have a for simplicity 2A flashlight, and i install the batteries in the normal way the negative to positive polairty, will they drain somehow?

Does it actually extend the battery life to store them with the batteries facing the wrong way, ie positive to positive, then switch them when you need them?

Prove me right and I get free dinner! heres hoping THanks-Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Josh1,

Like you, I'm no electrical engineer. But I've ruined a few good flashlights over the years due to leaking. Store the batteries NEXT to the flashlight! Doesn't settle the bet, but it's a better answer.
fred

Old 12-04-02, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Hey!........good deal, where can I get one?

josh1:

The direction the batteries face will in NO WAY affect the life of the batteries.

When the flashlight is turned off, an open circuit is an open circuit.....no current will flow.

The leaking matter is a different story.
As fewalt points out, batteries laying next to a device will never damage it WHEN they leak.

Old 12-06-02, 01:15 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
AHa!

Well im wrong hes right. Typical!
I went straight to Duracell on this one..

--------
December 6, 2002

Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Duracell and visiting our website.

To answer your question, If the flashlight is a 2 cell model you may reverse one of the cells, which will stop current flow. However, if the flishlight has more 3 or more batteries, reversing one cell can cause the battery to charge (since the batteries are non-rechargeable, this can cause leakage). The reason behind all this is that even in the "off" position, when batteries are installed in any equipment, they are still draining (at a minimum drain).

We hope you find the information provided helpful and will let us know if we can be of assistance to you in the future. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us on our toll-free number (800/551-2355), which is accessible in the US and Canada.

Gisele Davis
Consumer Service Supervisor
3489813A

Old 12-06-02, 03:13 PM
"even in the "off" position, when batteries are installed in any equipment, they are still draining (at a minimum drain)."

Yep, I believe that part: And, they are draining at a minimum drain while they are still wrapped in the packaging.

I'd even hesitate to totally believe a Consumer Service Supervisor. Over the years I've heard bogus information.

fred

Old 12-06-02, 03:30 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, but does reversing ALL the batteries help??? Trick question, btw. And if you reverse the batteries (assuming they still make contact at the contact points - which they probably won't) what happens when you turn the flashlight on?

Old 12-06-02, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
You are correct!

josh1:

Duracell did not answer the question you asked.

They only said that the batteries will naturally drain and as fewalt said they will still drain if one is hooked up backwards.

Now go collect your prize.

Old 12-08-02, 01:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 40 Posts
I agree that batteries drain....no matter what you do. They won't drain any faster in regards to the connection of polarity as long as it's a 2 cell. An open circuit is an open circuit...period. If it's a 3 or more cell, then it's a little different. One of the end batteries can be reversed, but the center batteries must be connected pos-to-neg. The reason is that the electrons will flow from the battery with the higher charge to the one with the lesser charge. It doesn't matter if they are ALL reversed, or ALL in correclty though. If they make connection properly, they will light the light either way since a flashlight doesn't care about polarity like a radio or more complex electronics would.

Duracell didn't really tell you anything more than you already knew....basically they told you that batteries don't last forever. They have a shelf life.

Old 12-11-02, 04:03 PM
free3bo
Visiting Guest
If you have 1 bat reversed and turn it on it will short and drastically reduce bat life. (had maglite in my car for emergencies, under car dropped 5" hit asphalt bulb blew, put in spare bulb, dropped 4" hit ground blew bulb, LED lites now- shockproof and batteries last 40 times as long)not quite as bright but for emergencies its there when u need it