Circular saw blade sharpening

Old 12-12-02, 11:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Circular saw blade sharpening

Can anyone suggest a good place to take my circular saw blades to be sharpened around the Lancaster, Ohio area?

Thank you

Old 12-12-02, 01:07 PM
Check around at all your regular hardware stores, also try mower repair shops. They may also do carbide blades, if your's is carbide.
If it's not carbide, you may want to just replace the blade with a new one.

fred

Old 12-12-02, 04:11 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Did you try Chuck's at 512 North Zane?

Old 12-13-02, 05:10 AM
Saw a blade sharpener

If there are any woodcrafting shops in the area you could call them. I also talked with a couple of cabinet shops and finish carpenters and got some names from them.

Old 12-14-02, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Simond

Best suggestion I can offer you to locate the sharpening shops that are in your local is the phone book. Stores that take in customers tools for this service are also listed in the book.

Most hardware stores, mower & small engine shops that provide this service and or are pick up locations for the sharpening shops will state in their ads they provide this service. Some lumber yards also places sharpening shops pick up tools for sharpening left there by customers, tradesman, contractors etc.

Old 12-14-02, 07:43 AM
Hey Tom,
Quick question?
Can a non carbide blade be sharpened? Is it worth it?
I've always considered them throw-aways(when I used to use them).
fred

Old 12-30-02, 12:33 PM
S
Thanks for everyone's help. I will call around.

Dave

Old 12-31-02, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Fred

Of course a non carbide blade can be sharpened. My shop provides this service daily. We sharpen all blades. The process is the same.

The costs is vary by either blade size or number of teeth for non carbide blades. I charge by diameter, while some shops charge by the number of teeth per blade.

Carbide blade sharpening costs are far more costly. Much is based on the sharpening time required, accuracy & precision, machinery needed, steps required and the costs of the diamond wheels required, etc. Far more labor intensive.

Carbide blades used by professionals are extremely expensive and highly precision. Sharpening them requires each blade to be sharpened back to it's original precision. The process takes several sharpening steps and lots of attention to details.

Not uncommon for professionals to pay close to $140.00-$200.00 per blade for the best in quality. Price a few and you'll see. These blades often have 100+ teeth per blade and some with 3 angles per tooth. They are generically called thriple tooth blades.

They are made by companies who's names are well known in the industry and not really necessarly made for the casual user. The professionals use these types of blades almost exclusively and for very good reasons. Clean & accurate cuts with very little need for planing or sanding after the cut has been made.

Sharpening them must be done in a very precision manner. Professionals who use these blades are very willing and happy to pay me extremely well for this service......

A carbide blade can be resharpened up to 5 times, if the user does not over use it between sharpenings and does not chip or brake teeth. Doing so only raises the cost dramatically if teeth need to be replaced before the sharpening process can be started....and they gladly pay the additional fees.....

Such is not the case with all steel blades. Some can be done quickly and cheaply while other not so. However, several of the steps in the processes are the same. Labor time varies.

Hope all this helps to clear up the issues with reasons for the high costs and required services needed.

Regards,
Tom_B
"Accurate Power Equipment Company."

Old 12-31-02, 02:35 PM
Hey Tom, thanks for your reply.

Most of my blades for my Delta contractor saw are carbide and some are expensive. They've not been sharpened yet, but a couple may be due.

I wasn't sure about the non carbides(circular saw), but I think my last replacement for it was a carbide anyway.

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: