how to tile around an outlet?

Old 12-13-02, 11:42 AM
tsawchuk
Visiting Guest
how to tile around an outlet?

I have just tiled my counter top and am getting ready to do the backsplash. The problem is, I have not idea what the best way is to go around outlets. I'm using 12" tiles and I have two outlets to contend with. I do not have a wet saw - so far I've been able to make all the cuts with nippers and a manual tile cutter. I do have a drill with a hole saw kit and I was wondering if I could get a hole saw that cuts tile....and if so, can you put a series of holes in the tile for the outlet to come through? Is there a better way? Any tips are appreciated,

Tara

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-02, 08:57 PM
zenaca
Visiting Guest
Tara I just got a set of hole saws at home depot i dont know if there are any in manitoba. Any way they are made by Remington instead of teeth they have a grit around the edges,they work pretty slick on tile it was 22 dollars for an 1 1/2 and 2 inch. you may be able to find them at a hardware store or try remington on the net altho i havnt looked there myself yet. Good Luck. Zenaca

Old 12-14-02, 03:23 AM
What I did before I had a wet saw was mark the cutout for the receptacle and drill a hole in each corner. Then I used a rod saw to cut between the holes. You can buy just the blade that works with a standard hacksaw body; the "blade" is a small round rod covered with grit. Given that you have 12 x 12 tile, a hacksaw may not be big enough, depending on where the hole is located in the tile. If not, they also make a blade with the grit on it for a jig saw; just take it slow and easy. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Old 12-19-02, 01:38 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The hole for the receptacle should be a square the size of the electrical box. The box then must be flush to 1/4 inch behind the finished surface. Extenders are available to move the box out front out. I would get the extender and make sure the hole is big enough to clear it. The box must remain 'accessible'. Destroying the tile to gain access is not allowed. Canadian code is very similar to US National Code.

Old 12-20-02, 09:42 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
im fairly sure Dremel makes a tile cutting kit, it has a collar that you place over the neck and plunge control depth? This would be my choice, Ive used those "tile cutting" jigsaw blades, Hope you werent in a hurry to make the cut! -Josh