Air compressor question

Old 12-18-02, 05:59 PM
Snapper6356
Visiting Guest
Air compressor question

I have a campbell hausfeld air compressor. It is the vt series pump. Seems i read these pumps can go to 135 psi. The mawp on the tank is 150. And the saftey valve is set at 140. It now kicks off at 125 psi. Now, can i safely bump it up 5-10 more psi? And are there any real benefits? Since it is a 30 gallon tank, how much longer would it take the tank to fill? I would like the extra psi for cleaning and poping loose the ocasionalreally tight bolt.. Thanks for any help...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-02, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Smile Welcome

Snapper6356:

Raising the pressure in my opinion is not a good idea.

Most air tools are meant to run on 100 psi. Raising the pressure much above that will only stress the tool and would mean that you are not using a strong enough tool in the first place.

Another problem is that by raising the pressure you will be probably overloading the electric motor.
The amperage draw of the motor is increased greatly by increasing the pressure settings. This will either smoke the motor or trip the breaker.

There is no real advantage to running at higher pressures, as you get no gain in capacity.

Putting a bigger motor and pulley on it to spin it faster.......now that's power.

Old 12-19-02, 03:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do not do this. Pitch it for a better unit. I agree with Greg.