ryobi 1 1/2HP Router

Old 12-19-02, 11:33 AM
AAH
Visiting Guest
ryobi 1 1/2HP Router

Hi All,

I just bought a router as a gift. She will be using it to mainly make one fireplace mantle. Will this one work. It is 1/4" collet and it's 1 1/2HP Ryobi R160. It only cost $60. Will it withstand this project. I don't think it's going to be highly used, but I don't want ti to peter out in the middle. Since it's her first mantle, I'm sure she'll be going through some practice runs.

Thank you and happy holidays to all.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-02, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
AAH:

I'm quite sure that it will hold up fine.

I'm personally a firm believer in purchasing inexpensive tools when they are infrequently used.

If the tool is not forced when using, the bits and machine will last a long time.

Old 12-20-02, 05:57 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
I have the same router. I've used it for a number of projects and it's a solid tool. One thing to keep in mind, though: Do a series of smaller cuts rather than one big cut. The thing isn't really powerful enough to do a 1/2" cut in oak. Four 1/8" passes are a lot easier on the tool and will actually be faster than trying to do a single 1/2" cut.

Old 12-20-02, 07:59 AM
AAH
Visiting Guest
Thanks that's good to know. I will go ahead and keep it and give it as a gift.

Old 12-24-02, 09:25 PM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
Also, if this is one of their models that has the plastic depth ring around the middle of it, tell her to take care with it. I rotated mine to the farthest extent (can't remember if it was all the way up or all the way down). Anyway, with only the slightest pressure, I managed to break the depth ring by pushing it too far. I think they should have made that part out of metal, but if you're careful with it, you shouldn't have any problems.