Router Question

Old 12-21-02, 09:00 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Router Question

I know the best would be to go out and buy a Porter Cable Router outright, but what about those of us who can't afford one right now?

Is there a way to buy a guide, and router bits that would attach to my cordless drill?

Frederick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-02, 09:17 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a drill spins fast enough to make clean cuts. Do you have a Dremel? You'll have to make a series of smaller cuts rather than one big one, but it works like a champ.

Old 12-21-02, 12:12 PM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Ok. Let me see if I am reading this correctly. You are refering to the little hand held sander thing they sell at Wal-Mart for about $30.00? Can you use the regular router bits in them, or do you have to buy Dremel router bits? Also can you get a guide for the dremel similar to the round platform on the bottom of the router to help keep the bit at one hight, or do you have to do it all freehand?

I don't personally have a dremel, but my father in law has one he never used. Maybe I can swing getting it from him.

Thanks for the advise. I was not sure. I am still green when it comes to this power tool stuff. Being a professional photographer, I was never into home improvement and power tools till I bought a house and saw how fun it was. Now I wish I took carpentry in school instead of computers.

Frederick

Old 12-21-02, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
As rick says, you can't spin a bit fast enough in a drill to do the job. Dremels take their own size attachments (1/8" shank if I remember right). You might keep an eye on the want-ads and check out yard/garage sales and/or flea markets; might get lucky on finding a good used router (although not necessarily the brand you desire).

Old 12-23-02, 07:57 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
A router guide is available for the Dremel. You also have to buy bits that are made specifically for that tool.

Be prepared to go very slowly with that tool as a router. The motor isn't very powerful and it needs to maintain its RPM in order to make clean cuts.

I used it to trim Formica for the kitchen countertops. It's a lot easier to control than a full-sized router.

With a simple cutter bit it also makes short, clean work of holes in drywall for electrical receps, switches and lights.

Old 12-23-02, 08:30 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
hey, frederick . . . do you have a price-limit you're looking at??

i purchased a ryobi w/ table from H.D. a few months ago, and it's worked out just FINE for me -- the whole setup was about $100.

Old 12-23-02, 08:55 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
No, I don't really have a limit as long as the price is reasonable. I don't have the funds to go out and buy an expensive one. The only company I was looking at though was Porter Cable as they are the sponsors of all my favorite home improvement shows. I guess they are the expensive ones. The cheapest one I found from them was $189.00.

If I can get an actual router for $100.00 that would be great. When you say "Table, you mean the kind that Norm Abram uses where the router bit is sticking up from the bottom of the table and you run the wood across the table?

Frederick

Old 12-23-02, 09:24 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
well, the basic idea of my little ryobi table is the same, but i'm sure it's not NEARLY as nice as norm's!

you may hear differently about the ryobi router, but i've never had a problem with mine, and it HAS been used. i was in the same boat as you with spending the $$$, so that's why i gave this a shot. i wasn't even sure i was going to LIKE it, so i really didn't want to sink a whole bunch of $$$ into it.

do you have a H.D. near ya anywhere?? you could always grab one, try it out, then take it back if you don't care for it. personally, i'd stick with a fixed base for a 1st go too.

you're probably gonna hear all KINDS of opinions about tool-buying and brand names and quality and cost and all that, so this is just my 2 cents!!

GOOD LUCK . . . and watch out, cause this wood-working stuff is ADDICTIVE!!!!

Old 12-23-02, 09:57 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
I know what you mean about brand names. I am a professional photographer. I hear all the time about people saying some other cameras, or films are the worst. Simply because they don't use them. Brand name is actually a matter of opinion. Of course Consumer reports would beg to differ, but when it comes to brands them and professionals who understand what I need it to do are the only ones I listen to.

Thanks, I will have to go to home depot and check out the table model. My partner at work talks highly of Ryobi.

Old 12-28-02, 09:49 PM
lnmrosen
Visiting Guest
I have a Craftsman router and a Ryobe plunge router. Both work just fine. I know that the pros use the Porter Cable. I guess it will outlast my routers. It is all a matter of need. I only use my routers occasionally, not 8 hours a day everyday. I do suggest that you buy good router bits and keep them sharp, I like carbide bits. Have fun and use it safely.

Old 12-29-02, 08:56 PM
If you haven't got the funds to get the Porter Cable router you may want to conceder a Craftsman. You should be able to pick up a rebuild Craftsman at your locate Sears Service Center for a good price. They have as good of a warrantee as a new router.
The only problem with a Craftsman router is they only use bits with a 1/4" shank. If you do much work with a router there will be a time when you will need a bit with a 1/2" shank. This is where Porter Cable has it over the others and why they cost more. Porter Cable routers are normally higher HP and they can use bits with both 1/4" and 1/2" shanks. You may want to bite the bullet and go for the Porter Cable.

Old 12-29-02, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey rogerh!

Go to www.sears.com and check out model #315.275110. This is the router I have, and it does come with 1/2" collet. It is a nice machine with soft start, feedback variable speed, plunge option, roller and edge guide, depth gague, 3.5 hp motor, etc... I used it today as a matter of fact...making moulding. The only complaint I have with it is that the plunge lock sometimes releases on it's own.

Old 12-31-02, 01:34 PM
Try looking at some local pawn shops for the porter cable router. You might be able to pick one up there for a lot less than retail. The first router I ever had was a Sears router with the switch in the handle. It was a 1/4 inch and I used it with a 3/4 inch bit to rout dados for a bookshelf. Still have it, but I have a porter cable d-handled router and a big Makita . I still prefer having the trigger in the handle. It just feels more natural to me to have a hold of the router when you start it up.