Framing Nailer Compressor Requirments

Old 12-22-02, 06:07 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
Framing Nailer Compressor Requirments

I recently purchased a Porter Cable Finish Nailer/Compressor Kit. The compressor is rated at 135 psi and is 6 gallons. Will this compressor run a framing nailer? I noticed that some that Porter Cable make run between 70 and 120 psi.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-02, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
fuller911:

It is the cfm rating that is a compressor's capacity measurement.

Most air tools require 100 psi and no more. It's ability to pump to 135 psi is meaningless.

Oh and yes, you should get good use out of your new outfit.

Old 12-23-02, 12:57 PM
I have my airline set at 100 psi (the compressor does 140ish).
With only a 6 gallon tank, if you do very much nailing, the compressor is going to be cycling a lot, as nail guns, especially framers, take a lot of air.

You may find that, for some nail/material combos, you have to up the pressure a bit to the full 120. At that point, your compressor will probably cycle on every few nails.

Old 12-23-02, 02:54 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. The compressor says 2.6 [email protected] I think I will just get the framing nailer and see how they work together. If they don't work the way I wish, I'll just buy a bigger compressor.

Thanks again

Old 12-23-02, 05:05 PM
FWIW, I've got a porter cable FR350 nailer..

As long as you can get 100 psi to it, it's fine, it's just with a small tank, you're going to use up 35 psi pretty quick. My compressor (5hp, [email protected] psi) is connected to a 170g tank. It hardly ever cycles, though when it does, it runs for about 10-15 minutes.

Only other thing I can think of is, in my past experience with small tanked compressors, they get a LOT of water. So you need to drain it on a regular basis (mine has an auto-drain).

Old 01-06-03, 04:49 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
Well I got me a Porter Cable FR350 from Lowes and used it off of my 6 gallon compressor. It will fire about 10 nails or so at 100 psi before it has to cycle. I think I will get a larger compressor for my upcoming projects around the house.

Thanks for all the help.