Woodworking with Jigsaw

Old 12-23-02, 09:10 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Woodworking with Jigsaw

For an early Christmas gift my brother gave me a Jig saw. As a professional photographer, I have been insterested in doing puzzles, and acrylic cut-outs. Can anyone please tell me if this sort of work can be done with a jigsaw? I know most people use a skroll saw.

Frederick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-02, 10:18 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
depending on the detail of the work, a jigsaw might be tough -- this sounds more like scroll saw work, like you said.

a jigsaw is a VERY useful tool though!

Old 12-23-02, 10:32 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Can anyone give me some ideas of what to use it for? Right now I am using it to rip some peg board to size for makeshift doors for the front of my computer stand. (little hands sticking color pencils in my printer all the time). I also saw on "Your New House" they used one for cutting the center out of a door to put a new window in, but that is all I can think of doing with one.

Any other ideas?

Old 12-23-02, 10:34 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
can't really answer this question . . . it's one of those things where you'll discover the different uses for it. you'll probably be finding new stuff all the time!

Old 12-24-02, 09:21 PM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
I use mine most often when making plywood shelves. I cut the shelves with a circular saw, but then I round the corners with a jig-saw anytime I have a shelf that will stick out and might snag a shirt or pant leg. Also useful for cutting holes in my plaster walls when I am adding an electrical outlet or a new network/cable/phone outlet.

Old 12-25-02, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fjclaus,

The jig saw will be fine for many projects.
But for making puzzles a scroll saw will be better due to the smaller kerf and tight fitting puzzle pieces.

check this out:
http://www.unikpuzzls.com/

fred