circular saw blade sharpening question 2

Old 01-04-03, 12:03 PM
circular saw blade sharpening question 2

hey tom, this may be a stupid question but here goes. can a 7 1/4 inch blade be sharpened by hand? i enjoy your forum very much and i appreciate professionals like you, sharing your knowledge with regular old joes like me. thanks for being there.
gary

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-03, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Gary

The truth is no. Even the small diameter blades have two or more cutting angles. They have to all be in perfect circumference diameter to cut both evenly and smoothly. Perfect results cannot be accomplished by any hand sharpening means.

Another reason often forgotten is balance. An out of diameter blade revolving at saw blade speeds needs to be and must be perfectly balanced. Hand sharpening will not insure even tooth heights, even blade diameter etc. Worse yet, balance.

Imagine the possible danger or tragic accident that can result if a blade spinning at that speed shatters? Don't imagine.

Guaranteed not to be a pretty sight.
Neither is a grinding wheel shattering. But it happens.

Most shops only charge about a buck fifty or buck seventy five to sharpen steel blades of this size. Worth every cent.

Regards. DIY Forum Host & Sharpening Forum Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Personal Business Quote:
Accurately and professionally sharpening every tool and blade that comes into my shop, insures satisfied first time customers. Doing so also developes them into repeat customers whom are then willing to pay me outrageous prices to sharpen every tool they have....

Old 01-05-03, 09:08 AM
thanks tom i was just curious. what you say makes perfectly good sense. something that is travelling at the speed of a circular saw blade would have to be in perfect balance or like you said the outcome could be devestating when you think about it coming apart. as always thanks for you expertise.
gary