Drill Doctor

Old 01-06-03, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drill Doctor

I'll start a new thread, but along the same line as previous post. I have a rather extensive collection of worn drill bits. I know from experience that I can't do a satisfactory job of free-hand sharpening, but I hate to discard them. I have been wondering for some time now about how well the Drill Doctor performs. (I am interested in the powered version, not the one where you use your own drill motor.) Has anyone had any experience with this tool? Whenever I start thinking about purchasing one, I realize how many bits I could buy for that same $100 and just buy a new drill bit instead. Can the Drill Doctor restore that factory-fresh condition to the cutting edge? Does it make the center remain in the center? How difficult is it to learn and use properly?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-03, 05:05 AM
Resharpening

I struggled with the same question. I decided to check the yellow pages and I found a biz that sharpens industrial saws and bits. I got 40+ bits (1/2" and smaller) sharpened for less than $20.00.
No muss, no fuss and I'm sure a whole lot better than I could do with ANY home tool.

Old 01-06-03, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I love my drill doctor. Being a machinist that learned to sharpen drills by hand I have some experience, the drill doctor meets my expectations. I never try to finish a job with a dull bit, just sharpen it.

Old 01-16-03, 12:32 PM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Can you tell me where I can get and Price?

Old 01-17-03, 04:21 AM
007 - go to www.drilldr.com and that site will help locate a retailer in your area by zip code.

Old 01-17-03, 07:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bought mine at Lowes, about $80.