Mitre saw vs table saw???

Old 01-06-03, 08:07 AM
jpitts
Visiting Guest
Question Mitre saw vs table saw???

I am in the market for a versitile saw,

It may seem a little novice, but which type of saw would be more generally useful, a compound mitre saw or a table saw?

It would only be used for around the house small projects, i.e. molding, finishing a basement, small cabinet stuff.

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-03, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
jpitts:

Welcome.

The table saw would have to be by far the best first woodworking tool.

A lot of the cuts a mitresaw can do can be done on a table saw but not vice versa.

When looking for a saw a few good features would be; solid cast iron top with a good fence and mitre attachment, minimum 24" rip capacity for halving 4 x 8 plywood, belt drive is the best if it will be seeing hard useage but direct drive will do if seldom used.

Also, how easy dust collection can be hooked up if an in-the-house shop.

How much do you want to spend? I'm sure someone would like to go shopping for you.

Old 01-07-03, 08:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Second Opinion

"It would only be used for around the house small projects, i.e. molding, finishing a basement, small cabinet stuff."

A Compound miter saw....
For the jobs listed above, a compound miter saw is more useful.
Door casings (45's +_)
Base molding (bevels)
cutting studs (7 feet off the saw 4 inches on)
crown molding ()

Although you can use a table saw to make cuts for the some of the above, it's not practical nor novice easy. A compound miter is also more versatile for working on around the house small projects. Most home owner type table saws retailed today are inverted circular saws which do not have tight tolerances...hence thier not for finish cuts. .....DIYer miters are generally built well enough to accomplish most jobs and you'll get years of use...My suggestion..Buy both.....If you have to choose....Miter First, circular saw and straight edge second and table third......

Shopping Suggestion: "finish quality depends on Tool quality" (with ebay and online auctions you can now get more than what you paid for) ....Shop for name brand products at dedicated tool retailers, independant lumber yards or Home Centers. For savings: Look for a used tool store, refurbished or bargains on the net. (The local lumber yard in my area now sells refurbished at 60% retail with full warranty) When purchasing a table saw......Invest..... stay away from no name deals and local hardware Store brand type sales.

Old 01-14-03, 09:40 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would get a table saw if you needed to do all of those things. I am new to tablesaws and am quite pleased with my ryobi bt3100. At HD they're only $299- and there is a wealth of info from the following links. I read these link extensively before deciding on mine, and i dont regret it a bit.

http://www.samconder.com
http://www.ryobitools.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

It is belt driven and will rip 24"+, plus it has a sliding mitre table. The more little projects i do, the more confident i become and i'm willing to try new more stuff. With the price of this saw and the features it includes i couldnt pass it up.

Old 01-14-03, 09:44 AM
jpitts
Visiting Guest
I did infact go with the Ryobi. It is perfect for what I need. Thanks everyone for the help.