Air compressor

Old 01-14-03, 10:47 AM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Air compressor

I am looking to buy an air compressor to blow out my sprinkler system. It has four zones in 60' by 110' property. Does anyone blowout the system by yourself? Also, can I use the compressor for a power washer with attachments?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-03, 02:57 PM
To blow out the sprinkler system, why not just remove the heads and turn the water on for a minute of so to flush the system? Not sure an air compressor is going to do a very good job for you in this case.

True power washers generally operate with something like 2,000 to 3,000 PSI. Air compressors usually operate at about 125 PSI. There may be attachments that would allow you to use a compressor to power wash things (I've never looked), but you would probably be farther ahead to rent or buy a true power washer.

Old 01-14-03, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
kk007:

A power washer is a pump that raises water pressure for washing and cannot pump air.

I have a link to a good irrigation site and the bottom line according to them is it is not recommended as a DIY project.

I don't know a lot about sprinkler systems but blow out several hundred feet of underground water line at my place and can tell you it takes a very large volume of air to get the velocity up in the line to carry the water out of the low spots.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/winter.htm#cold

Old 01-14-03, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
kk007:

Hey! Now I'm not sure if I understood your question since lefty posted.

Do you want to drain your system for freezing weather, or do you want to flush it out with water to get rid of contaminates.

I'm up to my neck in snow and 25 below weather and forget about the folks who never get to experience frostbite walking to the car.

Old 01-15-03, 07:05 AM
kk007
Visiting Guest
GregH,

I want to drain the system in to avoid freezing during winter.

Old 01-15-03, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
kk007:

Did you check out the link and was there anything usefull there?

There are several different sprinkler system types and each requires a different method of winterizing.

I'll copy your question in the Lawn Forum to see if someone can offer more.

Old 01-15-03, 09:30 PM
Ohhh -- to winterize the system. Man, I'm in Ca. My pipes are down 12". Gophers might be a problem for them, but freezing??

There are auto drains that you can install at the lowest point in a system that will allow them to drain automatically. They have a spring in them that holds them open until the water pressure forces them closed. I put one in each of the 2 lowest Rainbirds in my front yard about 15 years ago. When I pulled those heads out 3 years ago and changed over to gear drive heads, the auto drains were working just fine.

No, freezing pipes aren't much of a problem here. But, I do have to water the lawns everyday in the summer just to keep them BROWN!!

Old 04-14-03, 06:00 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Re: Air compressor

Originally posted by kk007
I am looking to buy an air compressor to blow out my sprinkler system. It has four zones in 60' by 110' property. Does anyone blowout the system by yourself? Also, can I use the compressor for a power washer with attachments?

you can just pay someone 50 bucks a year. they come with a compressor that is towed by a truck. it takes half an hour.

blowing out your sprinkler system with even a wheel barrow styled compressor will take hours and do a bad job.

Old 04-14-03, 06:01 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by lefty
To blow out the sprinkler system, why not just remove the heads and turn the water on for a minute of so to flush the system? Not sure an air compressor is going to do a very good job for you in this case.

huh? I think he wants to blow the water out, so there is no water left. what good would taking the heads off do?