Roto saw

Old 01-17-03, 05:54 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Question Roto saw

Does any body own or ever used one of the rotary saws? You know the ones that are suppose to replace the jig & scroll saws. I have a fairly new jig saw & a 13 year old band saw but I've been thinking about buying one. Any opinions???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-03, 07:30 PM
I have a roto-zip. I bought it on a recommendation. I still have not found a reasonable use for it. Keep what you have.

Old 01-18-03, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They arent anything close to as easy to control as it looks on TV. Those rotozip tools have their niche somewhere I guess, but not as a replacement to a saw. For drywall, they are probably quite handy though.

Old 01-18-03, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs down Not as good as they make it look!

Specter

I own the Porter Cable version of the Roto Zip.

It is not as good a tool as I thought it would be. It is a lot faster at cutting some things, but not as easy to control as a jig-saw.
It also sends up more dust when cutting drywall than a jig-saw.

The one advantage it has is that you get better depth control than a jig-saw on drywall. This is important when you are unsure of what is behind the panel you are cutting.

I would gladly trade mine for that cabinet router bit set I need.

Old 01-18-03, 01:14 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I just got a new rotozip to replace a very old one that finally fried. They take practice to learn to use. It is the best thing going for drywall and plaster cut outs. I use the cut out piece as the base of the patch, even in wood lath plaster. If you need a critical size hole, make a jig up with 1x lumber. Feeding slowly goes a long way with control. Use the fastest speed for regular cuts, rotozip is 30,000 rpm.

Old 01-27-03, 09:56 PM
fjb_68
Visiting Guest
i wouldnt be able to work with out mine it is a very big asset once you learn the trick with it doing drywall work
as brick eye stated make your jig and you are golden
they also are great to cut into walls to install switch boxes and cutting tile practice and patience

Old 01-28-03, 06:34 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply's.. I tried one that a friend has & it was like trying to run across a frozen pond barefoot. I went fast but couldn't follow the lines. He said it did take a lot of practice to use it well.

Old 01-29-03, 06:55 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
If you go slowly moving the zip tools, while they spin at the highest speed (for variable speed ones) they are a lot easier to control. Trying to cut fast produces a bunch of torque and twisting and makes them very hard to control. Slow down. Particularly in drywall and plaster you will not produce surface burning so slow is better.
My favorite trick for running wires is to cut a 6" x 6" hole above the stud I need to get past. Then cut a channel in the stud face 1/2 inch deep by 1/2 inch wide. Lay the wire in the channel. Cover with a nail plate. Use the cutout piece of plaster or drywall as the base of the patch by screwing it to the stud above and below the nail plate. Use setting type joint compound and to tape. The compound will go through the 1/8 inch zip cut and key on the back.