RAS as planer

Old 01-18-03, 09:48 PM
ccarruth
Visiting Guest
RAS as planer

This is a wierd question, but here goes..

I recently got my hands on a lot of used red oak flooring. My goal is to mill this back to raw wood, and then use it in a number of butcherblock tables and laminates.

I do not have a planer, so I am considering using my radial saw, with the blade fixed horizontal to the table, as a planer. This is the same method used to make raised panel cabinet doors on a RAS. I would then use my router table, with an offset fence, as a joiner.

Anyone have any experience doing this? What were your results?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
ccarruth:

You really cannot use a saw blade as a planer.
Besides being quite dangerous in that configuration, a radial arm saw is not stable enough to give you consistant material thickness, which is what you need for lamination.

Also, flooring is about 2 " wide. Do you propose to use a 2" flat router bit to surface this material?

Old 01-19-03, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whew...sounds like a good way to throw boards into the next county. That saw can bind on your board and shoot it like a missile in that kind of setup. Don't try it! When I was a kid, my dad was using his RAS and it bound and SLAMMED that board into the concrete wall across the shop. Thank God he was not in it's path...it went so fast it could have caused some serious problems.

Old 01-20-03, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
ccarruth:

How much of this material do you have?
Would the value of the finished wood justify the purchase of a small planer?

A friend once recovered a very large amount of maple by dismanteling two lanes of a bowling alley.
He tried to get a millwork company to resaw and plane it all, but they refused because of the possibility of nail damage from used wood.
That was found to be the case when he purchased a small plane.
Even though he became the saw sharpener's best customer for awhile, the value of that planed wood far exceeded the cost for him to mill it himself.