Dead drill

Old 01-18-03, 06:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dead drill

I have a Ryobi 12volt VS reversible drill that I really loved. Unfortunately the two batteries it came with have finally died. Does anyone have a lead on where I might purchase replacements at a REASONABLE price?

Old 01-18-03, 08:36 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
Are you sure the batts didn't develop a memory?

During construction projects the batteries are rarely fully drained or fully charged. Most times, batts are swapped when they become weak. They eventually stop charging to full capacity but it does not mean they are shot.

Before you spend big bux, buy a 12 volt light bulb and hook it up to the batt. Let the battery drain completely until the bulb goes out -- 24 hours or more in some cases. Then give the batt a full charge -- 8 hours or more. You may need to repeat the cycle with the bulb two or three times. It's called "erasing the memory".

Old 01-18-03, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
sjc1701:

Good idea to try conditioning the batteries as RickJ6956 suggested.

Unfortunately the batteries will not likely improve that much.
I'm trying right now to get some life out of a battery for a piece of test equipment but it's only improving slightly.

It would not make much sense to buy replacement batteries for a Ryobi. You could likely get a completete drill set with two batteries on sale for the same price as the batteries alone.

Old 01-18-03, 04:53 PM
Greg is correct, however before you go shopping try this. Take your batteries and put them in your deep freeze for 24 hours. Now charge them and give them a try. If they are still weak, throw away and go shopping. Good Luck

Old 01-18-03, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Exclamation Hey Jack!

That doesn't work with mine.
It's stored in a freezer...............my service truck.

Old 01-19-03, 08:37 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
I work in video production, where NiCads are used to power broadcast-series camcorders, monitors, decks and some lights. These batteries cost $300 to $1400 each and have a daily use life of about a year.

We found that using the light bulb trick from Day One on new batteries extended their life considerably. Some of the older batts are weak, but still useable after seven years.

It's not as effective on older batteries, but it helps.

Depending how handy you are, you could also try taking the battery apart and replacing the individual cells. They are usually just standard 1.5-volt rechargeables wrapped in a bundle and connected in series. (1.5 x 8 = 12 volts)

(If the connections are soldered, don't bother. The batteries can explode.)

Another option that will run your equipment for days: A 12v motorcycle battery in a backpack. Don't laugh. A four-foot power cable from a backpack to the tool isn't as bothersome as it would seem, and the battery can be charged in less than an hour. In a pinch, it can be charged from jumper cables attached to a running car.

(Video Production: The art of improvising in the field)

Old 01-19-03, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
The motorcycle backpack is a good idea.
I do something similar in a pinch.

Just don't bend over to pick something up!!!

Old 01-20-03, 09:20 AM
S
Thanks for the input, but it's well beyond the point of recovery. Both batteries have finally gotten to the point where they'll not accept a charge. Unless there's a precedure to resurrect the dead I'll have to get new batteries or a whole new drill. Just seems ludicrous a battery costs almost as much as a complete drill kit. -- Anyone got a market for good used drills without batteries --

Old 01-20-03, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
sjc1701:

Welcome to the real world of battery powered tools.

I have in my collection, three 7.2 volt and one 9 volt Makita drills on a shelf for that same reason.
I also have a 12 volt craftsman drill with a single battery that crapped out 6 mo after the warranty expired. That drill is not a solid drill and I wouldn't waste my money on it.

I fear for the day my 18 volt Milwaukee Sawzall batteries give up the ghost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: