Rockwell/Delta Motorized Saw

Old 01-14-03, 08:48 AM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
Rockwell/Delta Motorized Saw

I have a model # 34-7240 Rockwell/Delta Motorized Table Saw and need a new belt # 49-081. Does anyone know where I can get one. Thank you. Bill

Old 01-14-03, 10:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try plugging both the model and part # on Sears.com, then click parts.

Chances are if it's still available, it can be had. If it's an automotive V-belt, take it to a full line Gates belt supplier and see if they can run the #s and match it up for you.

Old 01-14-03, 11:04 AM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
belt

Thanks Joe for you reply, I had already tried Sears and have wrote to Delta, waiting for a reply. It is not a v-belt but an inch wide and about 4 inches long or 8 inches if you cut it and strech it out. Thanks again Bill

Old 01-14-03, 12:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Is it a square cut belt as would be seen in electronic products (such as a tape player, etc)?

If so, try Inland Electronics. They had the belt for my 79 Trans Am's digital red light 8 track player IN STOCK . Wow .

2.50 and 3 minutes and I was on my way . Delta probably still services the belt I would gather.

Old 01-14-03, 02:39 PM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
belt

Not any tapeplayer belt I have seen It pulls a ten inch saw blade off of a 1 1/2 horsepower motor. I have found one since I posted, but it is way too high and I would have to buy two to reach their minimum order. I would pay the price for one but I hate minimum
orders, telling I have to buy something I don't want. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-14-03, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
hillbilly :

I know what you have there and your saw is in the direct drive category.
Even though you have a belt, the arbor and motor are pretty much one unit and move together when adjusting the blade.

This will be a specialty part and not likely be available at a jobber so you will be stuck with getting it from the mfr.

These little belts are a high maintenance item and you likely wouldn't go wrong having a spare.

What do they want for one and how old is the saw?

I bought a belt similar to yours for a Hitatchi power hand planer that was three inches long and a half inch wide. It cost me twenty bucks.

Old 01-14-03, 06:18 PM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
Belt

Thanks Greg, the saw was brought in 1975 so it is pretty old. You are right about how it works. They want $30 for the belt, but have a $50 minimum which is what I don't like. I usally buy two belts when I buy, but I am not using the saw as much as I once did, and I have just put my spare belt on not long ago and it is worn out. I am thinking at it dry rotten as I have had it for awhile. I think the last belt I brought was around $15. I would paid the price for the belt, but hate to have to buy two when I am not using the saw much and I am as old as it is. I hate to be told I have to do something when I am the one paying. Thanks again
Bill

Old 01-14-03, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
hillbilly:

Does this supplier offer anything else you could use to make up the $50.00 minimum?
Maybe a sawblade or something.

Old 01-14-03, 08:08 PM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
Belt

I didn't see anything else I needed. I have been looking at new saws. I know I probably can't get as good a saw as I have, but
I don't need as good one, I just don't know what I will do with my old saw if I get a new one. Bill

Old 01-15-03, 09:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, the STYLE of the belt is what I was after.

A tape player uses a square lathe style belt. A car uses a V-belt. What is the style of the belt?

If you can find a supplier that sells your style belt, you can likey buy it in small quantities.

You might try typing "replacement saw belts" in google.com and see what comes up.

By the way: A Gates 4L30 type belt pulls my 1979 Craftsman (Chamberlain) garage door opener. Not that much smaller than my Little Wonder Edger or the 7430 Gates belt on my GM car .

Old 01-15-03, 10:46 AM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
Belt

Hey Joe, I guess I am dumb, but I don't know what a square lathe
belt is.Maybe you didn't see my post where I said I had found one
but they have a minumum order. I just got back from going and getting me a new saw, so I sloved the problem, but if I could find a belt that wasn't too high I would still get one My belt is 1 inch wide and 4 inches long on the inside and has groves on the inside to fit the cog type gears. Thanks again Bill

Old 01-15-03, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Again, the belt that is used on this type of equipment is USUALLY a specialty part.

The drive and driven pulley are often fixed, and no adjustment is possible so the length is critical.

Also, the inner profile of the belt is not always the same.
For example the pulley surface on an automotive application has a different series of ridges than an industrial application belt in a similar size.

Another factor is the power handling capability of the belt.
The Gates Polyflex JB series lists an 11" belt as it's smallest length flat belt with a 20 mm width. They further list the maximum recommended hp capacity at .6.

I too would be interested in an alternate supplier for this type of part.
The problem is meeting mfrs ORIGINAL specs.

Old 01-15-03, 02:54 PM
hillbilly
Visiting Guest
Belt

You are right Greg there is no adjustment you slide one gear or pulley off the arbor and slip your belt on and put it back putting it on the motor at the same time. Its goes on very tight. It has groves across it and that is what wears out once the belt get slick it starts to slip. The saw I brought is not as heavyas the old one but it isn't all steel. I have not tried it yet, but it will serve me. This saw is a direct drive no belt. Thanks Bill

Old 01-22-03, 10:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What I have done in the past when trying to match belts is simply give the dimensions or #s on the belt to the likes of Gates and Dayco and they have replied with their equivalent. I suggest you do the same here.

If it's not a belt they handle, then go to google.com and do some searching. Someone's got it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: