gazebos

Old 01-24-03, 04:44 PM
gordypoo
Visiting Guest
gazebos

hi, i'm a newbee, question is, i'm building a octagon gazebo, 8'er. got the pie shaped floor done. i'm putting the rafters on a 5/12. i want to make a metal cap, i know i will have to cut 8 pcs of metal & flang them, then melt lead on reams, cant find a tool to put the flanges on, i figure the tins will be 12" long, any help would be appreciated. thanks, gordon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-03, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
gordypoo:

Is this what you had in mind?

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=14562

Old 01-26-03, 01:56 PM
gordypoo
Visiting Guest
gazebo

i looked at that web site, it didnt have what i needed, i tried tinsmithing & lots of info, but not what i need, i guess i'll just use rivet it, thanks, gordon

Old 01-26-03, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
gordon:

I must not understand what you are looking to do.

Old 01-27-03, 08:45 AM
gordypoo
Visiting Guest
GAZEBO

HI GREGH, I AM TRYING TO MAKE A GALV CAP FOR AN 8 SIDED GAZEBO. I WANT IT TO FIT FLUSH AS POSSIBLE TO THE ROOF, I ALREADY MADE A FORM & HAMMERED THE TIN TO FIT, IT WAS A MESS, I HAVE BEEN TO ALL THE WEB SITES, AND NONE ARE MADE. I AM A RETIRED CARPENTER & INTEND TO TRY TO BUILD THESE G'S & I THOUGHT A NICE TOUCH WOULD BE A METAL CAP. I SEE THAT YOU ARE A/C & HEAT PERSON, SO WHATEVER TOOL THAT IS USE TO PUT THE FOLD OVER CRIMP ON THE METAL DUCT WORK, THAT IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR, I AM GOING TO CUT 8 PIECES OF TIN ON THE 22 DEGREE ANGLE, EACH PIECE NEEDS TO BE CRIMPED ON EACH SIDE SO THAT THEY WILL SNAP/LOCK TOGETHER, THEN I CAN POUND THEM FLAT,

Old 01-28-03, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
gordypoo:

The tool that makes the fold to join two pieces of sheet metal together is a lock former.
It is a fairly big machine and the joints it makes would be quite unattractive.

If you take a pattern or drawing to a sheet metal fabricator they may have an idea for you, or could make several of them for a decent price.

If you can download a PDF file, there is a sheet metal tool catalogue that has every tool imaginable.

http://www.empire-machinery.com/intro.html

Old 01-29-03, 06:57 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Talk to the sheet metal shop. Copper would be better than galvanized, and they can probably make it from one piece with a single flat seam.

Old 01-29-03, 01:14 PM
gordypoo
Visiting Guest
GAZEBO

thanks for the input, will follow up on all. gordon