Pulley puller

Old 01-26-03, 07:26 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Pulley puller

Hi all, this is my first time here, so I don't know if this question belongs here. I need to remove a 5 inch pulley that is on a keyed shaft. If I try to use gear pullers I am sure I will bend it. It is on a mower deck that's older so I would rather save the part. There are also 2 more 3 inch pullies that may need to come off. The shaft has a grease fitting on the end. Is there a special puller that would reach in closer to the shaft? By the time I ruin all these pullies I could buy the tool and save the parts. Thanks - Gordy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 11:17 AM
Cool

Yep. You just need to get a large enough 3-pronged pulley puller to remove those mower jackshaft pulleys. They don't reach to the shaft, but they get a good grip under the rim of the pulley.
Remove the grease fittings and if the threaded hole is on the end of the shaft where the pulley puller will be pushing against, put a slug or something over the end of the shaft.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-26-03, 12:01 PM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks OldGuy, I will give it a try. I am concerned about bending the pulley though. - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 01:33 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Cut a circle out of lightweight steel that is slightly larger than the pulley (cut 6" disc for a 5" pulley). Cut a narrow notch, just wide enough to clear the diameter of the shaft, from one side of this disc to it's center. Slip this disc behind the pulley and pull on the disc instead of the pulley.

Old 01-26-03, 01:54 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
Don't forget that a good penetrating oil and a little heat can sometimes make life alot easier.

Old 01-26-03, 02:42 PM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, will put both of those good ideas to use. I appreciate the help. - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Gordy:

You surely could bend the pulley if you try to grab it by the edges.

The work you are doing is in the realm of what a millrite would do and like a millrite you will have to use the proper tools and techniques.

The first thing to do would be to polish any of the shaft with emery cloth that sticks out past the pulley, in the direction you will be removing it. Be carefull you don't over do it if something else goes in this spot.

You would then need a tool like a bearing separator to put against the pulley and then hook your puller against that.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=126113

A better way is if you have the material and know how, you could make one as NutAndBoltKing has suggested.

Go slow on this and we can help you to not damage your pulley.

C'mon back for more info.

Old 01-26-03, 05:13 PM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Greg, and everyone for all the good info. I will give it a careful shot and let you all now how it comes out - off. Regards - Gordy.