drill chuck

Old 01-29-03, 05:54 AM
drill chuck

I have a cordless drill with a keyless jacob's chuck on it. Starting recently when i loosen or tighten the chuck using my hand it jambs at a certain spot all the time, it takes me turning it with a set of pliers to get it over the jambed spot. What could be causing this?? I don't know if this has something to do with it but recently i started using some double ended philips bits, could it be possible the end that goes deep into the chuck has done something to cause it to jamb at a certain spot. Any advise or help would really help me out.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-03, 01:51 PM
Hello, If I were you I'd try to lubricate the jaws/nut. Usually that will be enough to free them up, unless it is permanently damaged internally. In which case you'll probably have to replace the chuck.I doubt that putting a bit into the chuck too far would cause any problems because it would only bottom out on the base of the chuck........ I'm not sure if the keyless type come apart very easy or not for cleaning. I've had one of the keyed chucks apart once, you just tap the gear off over the back of the chuck and it basically falls into pieces. Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-03, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
luca1:

Once the name Jacob's meant something in the world of drills, but the ones used on a lot of the cordless drills are junk compared to the older and industrial ones.

I tried to take one apart like toni suggested but mine was crimped at the back and was not repairable.

The cause of sticking will be from a drop or tightening the chuck with a bit not centered or it could be dirty.

If you give it a good flushing with WD or a similar light oil, spin it back and forth a few times, then see if much crud comes out and it works any better.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-03, 05:33 AM
I really appreciate the advise, i will definetely try that. Thank-you and i will keep you posted.

Old 01-31-03, 05:23 AM
i tried the lubricating oil it did help but the chuck still is not spinning as freely as it used to.

Old 01-31-03, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
luca1:

It could have got bent somehow.

If it's still dirty it could take large volumes of oil .

You have to flood the chuck so its running all over the place.
Just don't get it inside the drill.

Old 01-31-03, 05:43 AM
drewsaum
Visiting Guest
I drilled a number of owerhead holes in plaster and drywall and started having problems with my keyless chuck drill. It would occssionally be very difficult to turn loose or tight. Plaster dust had apparently gotten into the "works". I first used compressed air and then some tuner cleaner (with the small plastic tube for small space insertion) to flush the chuck. I put in about 4 drops of thin lubricating oil, operated the chuck a few times, and it is as good as new. (Sears 18 volt battery powered)

Old 02-01-03, 07:29 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Smile

It sounds to me like you have a tiny chip of metal stuck in the threads between the jaws and the locking rings, or a chip may be stuck in between the locking rings and the sleeve.

Those parts are usually packed with grease when assembled new, and that grease can sometimes trap and hold small chips of metal in the threads. If a chip is stuck in there I personally think disassembly is your best option - but repeated lubrication and running the drill at slow speeds in each direction while opening and closing the chuck may free and exhaust the chip, or crush the chip enough to let the chuck operate freely.

Should you need to dismantle your chuck, do so slowly, and don't let the parts inside just fall out. Take your time with disassembly, carefully noting where each jaw is positioned, and where the locking rings go. You will have to put each jaw back in it's exact position when reassembling. The jaws and locking rings are threaded - and they must match up for proper operation.

The jaws that are inside a drill chuck usually differ from one another, so some manufactures - Jacobs usually does it - mark them 1-2-3 or A-B-C to help repairs.