corded drill

Old 03-02-03, 10:00 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
corded drill

Well my old craftsman ( 2 years) is making a really weird squealing sound so Im in the market for a new corded drill. I have dewalt cordless so naturally looked at their site. They have more drills than I Imagined. The one drill I ended up after going through was $137, nice but alot for a 3/8 drill. Is there a big difference in double reduction ie 0 -1200 and single reduction 0-2500 type drills as far as auger bits go? The cheaper 5.4A (versuss the 7.0A 137 dollar one) will drive a similar size boring bit, but no list of auger bit, and i do often use these. Thanks for advice. -Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-03, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Josh:

The 0 - 1200 rpm bit is better for the auger bits. These take a fair bit of power and the faster one will not likely handle it.
Double the speed and you get half the torque.
Also the slower one is better for drilling steel as the rpm range for steel is around 600 rpm.

The faster one is better for some wood drilling applications but is not a good all around tool.
A lot of cordless drills have this beat by using a two speed gearbox

Old 03-03-03, 05:54 PM
Knowing Sears policy on tools, I would run that drill by the repair center. If it has been a good one, getting it repaired might be more satisfactory and cheaper than having to go through buying another one. Two years is not much life for a corded drill.

Old 03-04-03, 04:25 AM
When I had to replace my 1/2" Craftsman corded drill (it made it about 10 years of limitted use), I ended up buying a Milwaukee drill at Home Depot. It has two variable speed ranges and can switch back and forth between regular drilling and hammer drilling; very versatile.

If I remember, it was somewhat expensive, in the range of $160, but I made the decision quite some time ago to never again buy a cheap tool. Before I buy an expensive tool, I make it a habit to ask the guys on the construction sites what they use; hopefully if I buy a top quality tool for my limitted use, it will last me the rest of my life.

Bruce

Old 03-04-03, 10:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depending on the model # of your drill, it IS a Black and Decker. If the model # of the Sears starts with 900, it is made by B&D/DeWalt.

Old 03-05-03, 12:52 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
anyone use/d a skil model 6330-01 1/2 5A 0-800 rpm? I believe its triple reduction. by my math 5A with triple reduction is better torque than dewalts 6A single reduction ?

I hate craftsman, i have my reasons. Thanks-Josh

Old 03-05-03, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
Josh:

Not an expensive drill and at the price you could probably afford to buy a 2500 rpm drill for woodworking.

One person liked it at Epinions:

http://www.epinions.com/content_74456534660

Old 03-05-03, 08:43 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i think ill give it a go and let you know results. I need to drill out lots of 1/4 spot welds in steel, so low speed of it should be ideal. I think a big milwaukee would be tiring, considering the number of spot welds i have to drill out. Of course, you can never have TOO many drills. Thanks-Josh

Old 03-06-03, 06:07 AM
Hi Josh,

Maybe you should reconsider your choices.
"I hate craftsman, i have my reasons. Thanks-Josh"

BUT, if you were to buy a midrange Craftsman, and you burnt it up with your project, you could probably have it replaced fairly easy.

Or you could borrow my 1969 ($8.99)model B&D, I can't seem to destroy it.

fred

Old 03-13-03, 09:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'll throw in my dad's 1967 era EJ Korvettes drill too.

Thing just doesn't quit. ! LOL