Compressor and nail gun

Old 03-18-03, 04:58 AM
Question Compressor and nail gun

I want to buy a compressor and a nail gun. I am not sure which one I need since I never used one myself. I need them for both woodworking and home improvement projects (i.e. attaching baseboards and panels). I am really confused in all kind of guns (finishing, brad, stapler) available. I am also not sure which compressor I need.
I have limited space in my workshop. Budget is also an issue for me. I read once that Harbor Freight has acceptable quality compressor and nail guns and they are really cheap compared to other brands. I never Harbor Freight power tools due to their very low quality. but guy stated that both compressor and nail gun worked fine and it was the best purchase he had ever made.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-03, 10:13 AM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
Fellow DIY here. I purchased a Craftsman pancake compressor with a 16 gauge finish nailer for about $250.00 recently. The nail gun drives from 1" to 2.5" finish nails. I use it a lot for trim work, etc. I use the compressor for other things as well. One downfall to air nailers is if the nail is not deep enough it is a b#@#$ to set these pneumatic nails. Given the fact they are thin and square heads they are next to impossible to countersink without damage to the surrounding wood.

Old 03-18-03, 07:20 PM
I have a Bostich N60FN 15 guage finishing nailer. It shoots 1 - 2.5 finishing nails. They are heavier than the 16 guage nails. If I were to buy only one to use for many projects, it or one like it would be my choice for versatility. The brad nailers and crown stapler are nice for assembly work. You are going to need #6 and #8 nails for trim, so a brad nailer won't help you there. I have several brad nailers, and such, but if I had only one, the N60FN would be it.

If one does not seat, you can put it in with a nail set.

I have an Emglo hot dog compressor for my nail guns and am satisfied. I have no other uses for my compressor such as painting or air driven tools, so I don't need a big unit.

Old 03-30-03, 03:17 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
I have had alot of nailers and compressors, I lean heavily towards emglo compressors and Bostich nailers.

Old 04-13-03, 10:46 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by chfite
I have a Bostich N60FN 15 guage finishing nailer. It shoots 1 - 2.5 finishing nails. They are heavier than the 16 guage nails. If I were to buy only one to use for many projects, it or one like it would be my choice for versatility. The brad nailers and crown stapler are nice for assembly work. You are going to need #6 and #8 nails for trim, so a brad nailer won't help you there. I have several brad nailers, and such, but if I had only one, the N60FN would be it.

If one does not seat, you can put it in with a nail set.

I have an Emglo hot dog compressor for my nail guns and am satisfied. I have no other uses for my compressor such as painting or air driven tools, so I don't need a big unit.
what is the reason you like the emglos?

Old 04-13-03, 11:24 PM
I have a DeWalt/Emglo gas powered compressor I have been very happy with. It dose not see a lot of use, because I use my larger compressor but when I need it I always know itís there, it kind-of a no worry tool. It is one of the smaller ones that is good when you need something portable and there might or might not be electric power available. It makes about 16cfm at 100psi it has plenty of power to run some air tools other than nail guns. It's nice that it can be carried by one person. I really like the fact that it has a Honda motor. Honda motors are not the cheapest, but they are quality and there will be no problem finding parts if you ever break something.

Old 04-14-03, 07:42 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by WeldGod
It makes about 16cfm at 100psi .

are you sure about that number?

Old 04-14-03, 07:12 PM
emglo

I bought it and have been using it for 14 years with no problem.

Old 04-14-03, 07:20 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by millertime

are you sure about that number?
nevermind that comment. I had a different model in mind

Old 04-14-03, 11:40 PM
Mine is a few years older, but it's the same thing as this:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=4796

Old 04-15-03, 08:36 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by WeldGod
Mine is a few years older, but it's the same thing as this:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=4796

and thats your small one?

Old 04-15-03, 09:02 AM
LOL, yes but I run impact wrenches, sanders, cutoff wheels, air ratchets, and so on.