Wire Rope Clips-Cable Clamps-Crosbies

Old 03-28-03, 06:10 AM
OudeVanDagen
Visiting Guest
Question Wire Rope Clips-Cable Clamps-Crosbies

My neighbor and I are replacing his chain link fence but first need to fix his come-a-long. The end of the long cable near the hook broke. All we need is a loop at the end so we bought a cable eye or thimble and cable clamps. It seems that the clamps are also called wire rope clips and crosbies. They are u-bolts that have a saddle and two hex nuts.

How do they go on the cable? Somene said "Never saddle a dead horse" and told us to put the saddle part of the clamp on the "live" end of the cable. If we make a loop with the end of the cable, which part is the live end; the shorter and end section of the cable that's heading back towards the crank, or the long section?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-03, 06:24 AM
Cool

In this case, the so-called "live" end would be the long cable.
However, I really don't think that it makes any difference which way the clamp is put on. The clamp pressure is equal from both sides.
The main thing to be aware of when using a new steel cable clamp is that the cable will stretch (making it smaller) when a strain is put on it, and you will need to re-tighten the two clamp nuts as tight as possible (with strain on) to make sure that the cable doesn't slip out of the clamp.
Personally, I always use two clamps on each cable for added strength and safety, such as on the four corner cables of my boat lift.
You also can loop the end of the cable back through the clamp to help make it hold.
Be careful when first putting a strain on a cable with a new clamp.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-30-03, 04:00 PM
P.W. at home
Visiting Guest
I have a 7500 LB. crane on my truck and was also told to never saddle a dead horse from my much older welding partner who is old enouph that he used to work on draglines, excavators and all of the other equipment back when they did not have hydraulics so I would say take the advise and never sadle a dead horse,
and yes the dead side is the short end and the live end is the long side.

Old 03-30-03, 04:11 PM
I have also heard never saddle a dead horse, it has served me well over the years of recovering 2 Ton and bigger trucks in the oil patch