18v Cordless combo packs

Old 04-16-03, 07:53 PM
kharris
Visiting Guest
Question 18v Cordless combo packs

Between the Black & Decker Firestorm, and the Ryobi 18V cordless combo packs which is better?

Old 04-16-03, 09:37 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
id say B&D. They build DeWalt tools, and ryobi has had a few tool recalls lately.

Old 04-18-03, 07:14 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Ryobi 18v tool set

I treated myself to the Ryobi 18V cordless tool set for my Christmas present last year (2001). Got it at Home Depot, and at that time it had a drill/driver, recip saw, 5" circular saw, a hand light, and 2 batteries.

I have used the heck out of the set on lots of projects. I've dropped the drill on a lot of occasions and it still works great. The recip saw is pretty powerful for its size--not the power of a corded Sawzall, but decent for most DIY projects. Same for the circular--good for smaller jobs where portability is convenient. I stlll use my Skilsaw on bigger cuts, but it's much heavier than the cordless.

My batteries are seeming to lose their life, in spite of trying to use them effectively by letting them run down all the way. That's the only negative I can add, but that may be the case for all cordless tools.

Hope this helps!

LewMac

Old 04-19-03, 08:53 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Re: Ryobi 18v tool set

Originally posted by LewMac

My batteries are seeming to lose their life, in spite of trying to use them effectively by letting them run down all the way.

thats the wrong way to use batteries

"Finally, no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard, never fully discharge a battery. For years, carpenters have passed along the myth that batteries have memories, and if not fully discharged, they won't fully charge. I've even seen carpenters tape a drill's trigger down to extract every last electron from a battery. This action reverses cells and makes your batteries die young. Use the battery only until you notice a power loss that affects performance, and then recharge the battery."

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00106.asp

Old 04-20-03, 08:49 PM
fuller911
Visiting Guest
I'd go with Ryobi. I have had a B&D Firestorm and it didn't last 6 months before the clutch fried. I've had a Ryobi for 2 years and it has yet to let me down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: