Rusty old hand tools

Old 04-19-03, 05:02 PM
inquisitive
Visiting Guest
Rusty old hand tools

When my landlord was moved to a nursing home her son offered me all the tools that her husband had left in the garage. Okay, I have no clue as to what a few of these tools actually are but I could use the majority of them and I pretty much made out like a bandit on the deal.

My guess is that they have been sitting unused for at least 15 years so most are very rusty. What can I use to get these cleaned up and in shape for some practical applications around my new home? I am sure some of the tools are almost antique so I do not want to do more harm than good to those.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 05:49 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Wink "Rust-Away"

I have a love, no .... a compulsive disorder, for old tools.

It's my opinion that;

a) if you're going to keep and use them .... check stores or do a web search for a product called "Rust-Away." You should be able to find it at better hardware, paint, and some automotive stores, or you can order it off the web. It comes in various liquid sizes, aerosol cans, and in gel form. Wear GLOVES and EYE protection in a well ventilated area away from open flame using the stuff - and just on the metal parts, never on wooden or plastic handles. Rust-Away and most similar chemical rust removers will work good. I would strongly advise against using sanders, grinders, or wire brush wheels as doing often removes metal, reduces value, and usually makes a nice old tool look lousy, but

b) if you're going to sell or trade them ... leave them rusty and let the collector/buyer do the clean-up. Hardcore collectors, like me, don't like seeing, and are very reluctant to buy tools where restoration was attempted and botched.

Old 04-20-03, 07:56 AM
It depends on the type of tools. non moving tools like box wrenches I just use a wire wheel and polish all the rust off.
Moving tools like pliers I wire wheel and oil the moving parts. Sometimes I will let them soak in a bucket of kerosene for several days first.
Fine 120 grit sandpaper wirk for a final polishing.

Old 04-22-03, 01:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you can determine whose they are, you can exchange them for new ones in some cases. If they are Craftsman (you scored if they are), then they will be able to exchange them at Sears without question.

Just an idea.