Who makes Sears "397" Bench Grinders? :)

Old 05-25-03, 10:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Who makes Sears "397" Bench Grinders? :)

I'm usually on top of this stuff, but for the life of me, I cannot find out who vendor # 397 is (model prefix) for the Sears Bench Grinder I won on Ebay.

I bought it for 25 (including shipping) and I Know it it is a heavy duty, USA made older unit that starts with 397. I don't have it yet, it will come Tuesday (UPS tried to deliver it, but Iwasn't home).

Here is the EBay item # (www.ebay.com and search for this item #): 2322637509

Any ideas who it is? It's not B&D, I asked them already. They are prefix #900.

I figured it can't be half bad being USA made and pretty heavy duty .

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-03, 04:27 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Joe, I searched the net for 45 minutes and came up with nothing on this grinder. Time to break out the big guns......Mike

Old 05-27-03, 08:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thank you Mike. I have contacted Baldor and Emerson who would be my two likely guesses. Neither has replied as of yet. I will study it more when I receive it (this evening).

I'll let everyone know! Thanks all.

Old 05-27-03, 07:27 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Odd you mention Baldor, we have a Baldor motor factory here in town. Could it be another inside line.....??? I shall let the Web Ferret loose on this search....Mike

Old 05-28-03, 07:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I got the unit yesterday. Nice little guy, seems to have hardly been used. Model #397.19310, Serial #812300190. I would need owner's manual #22013912. My guess on the age is from 1978 to 1981? I'll find out when I find the OEM maker of it. I've also tried Skil, thinking maybe it's one of theirs???

Maybe someone recognizes the type of part #s these are. I don't think it's a Baldor, this is more a home use unit.

Nothing broken on it. One guard is out of place, but there. Just looks like something's been reassembled wrong. I'll fix it at lunch in the laboratory today .

Thanks all.

Mike: Yes, Baldor is in your neck of the woods.

Old 05-28-03, 01:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ryobi gave me Craftsman's hotline # and the woman there couldn't find it and said that her "sheet goes back pretty far...."

I'd love to have that book. LOL. Anyhow, she said "try HTII, they are the only ones we have listed for Bench Grinders".

Well HTII has merged with Wilton, who is a vice company and also has bench grinders. They are in IL too---logistically, this would make sense for Sears, they tend to use vendors from their home state.

I have an e-mail into Wilton to see if they are the company. In turn, I'll post back.

The woman gave me a # for HTII, but when you call it it says it's rerouted to a 900 # and you must be 18 to use it.