Tool sharing

Old 06-01-03, 11:30 PM
JanusKlaassen
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Tool sharing

Hi DIY-ers!

I bet you guys are among the 'progressive' tool users, that's why I'm posting this topic on your forum. In a research program at the university of NSW Australia, I'm trying to investigate the practice of tool sharing. Around the globe there are a lot of communities, associations, city-councils, public libraries etc. that run a so called 'tool library'. Members can lend the tools just like books from a regular book-library.
Since my field of work is Industrial Design, I'm searching for things to improve, in order to make the concept of tool libraries work better and become more widespread!
All comments on this project are welcome, some probing questions are:

-Are you involved in a tool sharing scheme and are you satisfied with it?
-What are the advantages and disadvantages of tool sharing?
-Do you experience problems with (the design of) tools in general?
-What should manufacturers improve in order to make their tools better and make them better suitable for sharing?

Don't hesitate to shout ideas!! You can also reply on janusklaassen@hotmail.com!

Thanx so much for your remarks!

Jan Klaassen

Old 06-02-03, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I, for one, would never loan out any of my tools and equipment in some kind of "public sharing" scheme.
People who RENT out tools and equipment have to charge an arm and a leg for it because of abuse by those who don't or won't take care of it.
I keep all of my tools and equipment in good working order...serviced, clean, sharpened, etc. as the case may be.
I only loan them to very close friends whom I know keep their things the same way. I only loan or borrow tools and equipment one way...it goes back just as clean, sharp, in as good or better condition, full of gas, etc. as I (they) got it.
I've had friends who have replaced table saw motors, tools, wheel barrows, etc. that they damaged (without asking), because they know how I am. I have a far better tools-and-equipment collection than the average duck, and I do not mind saying "no" to most people that I know, much less someone that I don't. I'm funny about my "stuff" that way.
Just my 2 cents.
Mike

Old 06-02-03, 04:30 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I know of one tool sharing program in the states and that is Auto Zone. I don't know the details first hand but this is how I think they operate their system. They have 20+ tools in the "library" that the weekend warrior will need to install parts like struts, steering wheels, suspension springs etc. as well as gear and pulley pullers. They charge a deposit for each tool that I suppose is something over their cost. Bring the tool back in good condition and get your money back. They also seem to be just as happy if you want to keep it from my experience. I suppose that would be because for every one that stays out they get to add a new one to their stock of rental tools and probably cleared a few dollars on it. No doubt this is all about selling parts that may not get sold if one had to buy the part and buy or borrow the tools to install them. I'm with Oldguy on my personal tools....Don't ask to borrow and I won't tell you NO.......Mike

Old 06-02-03, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Are you serious? I am very protective with my tools, and I rather assume that anyone who has a significant collection of tools feels the same way. My father can borrow any tool whenever he desires. I will on occasion loan a tool or two to my son and on an even rarer occasion to my son-in-law - never to my daughter. Beyond that, I don't share. I would be glad to loan money for a friend to rent a tool from a tool rental shop. All that said, I don't believe that a 'public lending library' arrangement would work because of the high maintenance expenses involved. The closest that I have ever heard of this type of operation was when I was in the US Air Force. We had on the Base an Auto and Wood Hobby Shop where airmen stationed there could use the tools and machines on site, with supervision at no expense. There was lots of maintenance required and one woodworking tool or another was often out of service.

Old 06-02-03, 08:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Snap On said it well, "Please don't ask to borrow my tools as I make my living using them". I don't but I value them as if I do.

I have a rule: If I have to borrow a tool more than once from a friend, I should own it. I borrowed my neighbor's recip saw to do the exhaust on my Cavalier and then the next week I bought a Sears Professional one on sale .

If my friends and I do a project at my home, we use my tools.
As others here, I have a fairly extensive collection of stuff and I'm always adding.

If someone is too cheap to buy the proper tools, they really don't want to do it themselves .

Old 06-02-03, 09:48 AM
C
I would never lend a tool of any consequence. That is my otherwise inexpensive chisels that are carefully honed and polished just as I like them, not leaving here. Carbide 1/2' router bits are staying right here. Circular saw, mower, screwdrivers, cordless drill, yes; but I expect them back in the same condition as lent or to be replaced with new. No, you cannot use my table saw.

I bought my wife and kids their own tools and tool boxes.

I have met enough folks who don't know how to use the tools to start with and will either ruin them or get hurt.

But bring your new tool by and I will teach you how to use it and care for it.

Old 06-02-03, 09:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you want cheap tools or good buys, just go to www.ebay.com

You can get good deals from folks if you shop smartly.

Old 06-02-03, 06:38 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
if you need a tool and you dont want to buy it, rent it.

Old 06-03-03, 02:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
There are a very few people who I trust to borrow my tools. The ones I don't trust know not to ask. Some folks may come here and use a needed tool here, but it doesn't leave. The value of my tools probably comes close to what I paid for my home, lol, and I don't want them to be lost or damaged, and I don't want to have to go hunting for them when I need them, because someone borrowed them and hasn't been too interested in bringing them back.

Old 06-06-03, 04:24 PM
People can ruin any tool. I loaned out a regular shovel to dig dirt with. Two weeks later, I had to go and get it myself, it was left in the rain and covered with rust. So I had to wire brush it off, sharpen the blunt edge and oil it.

Every tool has care requirements. A good example is a simple inexpensive dry wall trowel. A tiny little nick on the edge of the tool and it becomes worthless.

Even the most durable tools, like a 1/2" drive socket, can be returned full of grease, leaving the owner to clean it up.

Tool sharing,,, it's a wonderful idea to the guy who doesn't own any tools. It is a ridiculous idea to the guy who owns tools.

To add to all this. I wondering by one of your questions, how 'tool design' is related to 'tool sharing' as you suggest.

The tried and true method to share tools is by renting them. The collective cost of renting, in turn, pays for the purchase, storage, maintainance and handling of the tool. It's a balanced equation.
Or are you suggesting that some people (owners) pay all these cost while the rest of the folks (borrowers) get a free ride. There is probably an Economics class offered at your university that covers those concepts in detail.

Gaa dae mate,

Old 06-06-03, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Question Research Project?

Hello Jan,

I'm curious to know how your research is going.
It's obvious from our responses that our culture is not favorable to letting someone use their belongings.

When you suggest tool sharing are you suggesting this take place in economically disadvantaged areas or would you suggest it be applied to all?

Old 06-06-03, 06:47 PM
G
There was an article in the Washington Post just last week talking about how he one tool sharing library in our area was closing up due to lack of support.

I'm also one of those who won't lend my tools out. I've done it a couple of times and gotten bitten. It's also a point that you get used to the way that your tools handle.

I used to work with my local Habitat for Humanity and would think nothing of taking my Dewalt cordless tolls to be able to use them. One day I saw one of the homeowner's kids just playing with them and said somethin to them. I got chewed out by people for doing it. My point was thta I pay too much money for my tools to have someone brak them, cause you know darn sure that if they break them, they are'nt goin to pay to have them fixed.

I got to the poitn that I went to the pawn shopa and got a buch of used tools and that is what I would take to use there.

Old 06-06-03, 08:17 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Lugnut

The tried and true method to share tools is by renting them. The collective cost of renting, in turn, pays for the purchase, storage, maintainance and handling of the tool. It's a balanced equation.
Or are you suggesting that some people (owners) pay all these cost while the rest of the folks (borrowers) get a free ride. There is probably an Economics class offered at your university that covers those concepts in detail.

EXACTLY.

Old 06-07-03, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Only my very best friends in the trade can borrow my tools, and most of them have their own anyhow . If I'm doing a job with a friend, we do the job together with my tools. Case in point: Tomorrow's brake job with my friend.

I own a fair amount of Craftsman, so if they break after the job is done, I return them and get new ones. No friendships lost, no tools lost either .

As for gaining one's tool collection, the best way is to buy used ones at garage sales and swapmeets. You'll find some hardly used ones at great prices. I'd say half of the stuff I buy at the Englishtown, NJ swapmeets are tools. I only buy Craftsman where I can exchange them for new if need be, or I buy stuff I've carefully inspected or tested on the site. I also NEVER give the person their asking price, I always negotiate and leave room for parts needed, etc.

If you need to borrow a tool once or twice, rent it or buy it. That's my motto. You'll find uses for most tools again and again.

My .02

Old 06-07-03, 03:46 PM
I agree with everyone else. In a year, I will be making my living off of my tools. You just can't afford to do the job with the wrong tool because your "friend" forgot to return it. My craftsman and snap-on tools costed me almost $1,000, and I am just getting started. Replacing a lost socket would cost you $5 to $10, plus if your on the job, you just don't have time to run to sears. I have seen people use ratchets as hammers, screwdrivers as prybars and scrapers and chizels, drills that cost over $150 get dropped on cement, and torque wrenches used as breaker bars. These are things that you just don't do with tools because they will be permenently ruined. I would gladly loan my tools to a close friend that takes care of his tools and would treat mine like they were his own. But some people are just better off going to walmart or harbor freight and buy a rachet for $10 rather than destroying my $100 snap-on rachet. You work hard to get your tools because you need them, so why shouldn't the next guy?

Old 06-15-03, 07:37 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
its a great idea for tools that only original repair shops had. having a 43 year old austin healey. i sure wish there was a "factory ah tools" reporsitory, you just cant find some of the specific manual tools. of course, i recently clenaed polished and oiled all my drive tools, then vacuumed out their tool chest drawer. i think most tool people are probably pretty protective of general use tools, but for specific older tools sharing would be helpful.

_Josh

Old 06-15-03, 08:19 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Tool sharing

I have read about tool lending libraries, but I have not read any research on successful results.

My tools at my store have disappeared over the years. I have replaced them twice. Hopefully, my current staff understands that if we use a tool that you return it to where I keep my tools. I have not yet replaced all my tools, so I am still in the market for tools.

I know a rental tool guy. He claims that his rates for rental are so high that it covers his losses. Thus a lending library for tools would not cover losses.

Folks are always after me to rent nail guns for installing wood floor because I sell hardwood flooring. I once rented a nail gun and the nailer would not work and I was charged $20+ for renting a dysfunctional gun. I don't want to get into the tool rental business.

My dad kept his tool shed padlocked to keep my brothers out. Tools they borrowed were never returned.

Lending tools is not a good idea. Renting tools is sometimes not a good idea, either, if they are not in good condition, because not all tool rentals keep tools in good condition. And, if they do not work, you can be blamed for their not working. Always check out equipment before you rent it.

As far as the design of tools and the research regarding manufacturers doing something to improve tool design, these issues are irrelevant to the issues of tool lending or borrowing. Tool lending will operate at a loss. Tool renting may or may not operate at a profit.

Old 06-17-03, 09:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

It's piss poor. I lent something to a neighbor, and while I know I'll get it back, it's been a week that he's had it.

The problem is when you lend out something like that, it is not available for your use. Not everyone is as diligent as I might be with returning it the MINUTE I'm done with it!

Old 06-17-03, 08:04 PM
Ok, seeing this thread has taken a turn toward personal experiences, I have a short story.

My neighbor sent her son over..." Can we borrow your step ladder?" I was sure they meant to borrow it for 10 minutes.

Two months later, bewildered and shocked, I finally demanded they return it.

Yet another one, my own brother asked to borrow a garden sprayer. I said yes. He then laid out a schedule for me to deliver it to his house, and when I could pick it up. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

Old 06-17-03, 10:36 PM
I have another good example. The summer term started at school and as usual there are new students. About 5 of them to be exact. Well, of cource, the first thing that one of them had to do was help me on a tractor. Before I knew it, there was 9 of us on that tractor and I barely had any room to work. Well, since it was their first week, they hadn't gotten their tools boxes yet (tool boxes are suplied by the school along with most tools you need, however you are responsible for not loosing them). Well, needless to say I was chasing my tools around. Then I had missed a day and they helped themselves to my toolbox. There is one student that brought his own tools. He has about $600 worth of craftsman tools. Well, those new dudes mixed up my tools with his personal tools and got him mad. Then today, when he wasn't around, one of those new students helped himself to take whatever he needed out of that guys toolbox. Well, to say the least it didn't go over to well with him or the teacher. Then when I first got to school, there they were, taking stuff out my box again. Now I can't find my feeler gauge and all my tools I just finished organizing are scattered around the shop. Well, now I keep my box locked and also keep an eye on that guys tool box. People that need tools want there right then and there, then once they get them, they don't care if you get it back or not. So I think tool sharing would be a downhill experience.

Old 06-18-03, 08:14 AM
W
Tool borrowing happens in new construction frequently with all the contractors around. I have a strict no borrow policy. A paperhanging pal paints all of her tools and equipment a screaming bright shade of pink. Since most construction folks are men, they don't even ask!

Old 06-18-03, 08:18 PM
alumtuna
Visiting Guest
clubs in bay area, cali

Hello JanusKlaassen

There are some tool lending clubs around in California (especially in Berkeley). It kind of works like a club were you buy a spot to use there tools (some are expensive tools nailers, floor sanders etc.) You have to follow their rules. Some have a policy that you must return the tool w/in 3 days. The next person on the wait list gets to use it next. It works out similar or less to pricing as a tool rental place would have. Draw back you could have to wait or there are crappy tools/not the ones you like to use.

There are also shops rentals. You rent the entire shop with tools and all (especially for woodworking). This has benefits in you pay only what you need, follow some basic rules (safety#1 and take care of tools). Price could be steep but if you are organized it could be worth it.

IMHO

Old 06-29-03, 03:29 AM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
me personally........I dont even share my tools with my dad. If he uses them, I check to make sure they come back exactly as he got them, just as clean and in just as good of condition. I buy high quality tools and keep them in new condition for a reason. I have them if/when I need them. I know exactly where every single one is and they are all clean and beautiful. I actually have my full name engraved on every socket, wrench, hammer etc. My name is on it somewhere. If I need a tool and I dont have it, normally I go buy it. If it's a job I need done right away and for some reason I cant find it to buy, I go to the do it yourself shop on the navy base and borrow one of theirs. Which works fairly well. So i guess that is like the library thing you're talking about. This is the thing, the military people using the tools, understand the need for tools in good condition, and when they are returned they are thoroughly inspected, if you damage it you buy a new one for them. The common person, they generally dont have the respect for tools that we do. I can understand a "tool library" for a specialty tool for doing certain jobs, but for wrenches, screwdrivers etc. etc. you need to have some of your own. EVERY person should own one set of wrenches, screwdrivers, and a hammer at minimum. Thats just my feeling on it. But I belive a tool library would never work because of the attitude of it's not mine. so who cares if it gets broke. Thats the very reason nobody touches mine. just my two cents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: