DeWalt & Black & Decker

Old 06-03-03, 05:20 PM
dhughes9996
Visiting Guest
DeWalt & Black & Decker

Can anyone tell me when DeWalt & Black/Decker "merged"? If Black & Decker "owns" DeWalt, why are the two lines of battery tools not consistent, quality-wise. Specifically, I've had better luck with the Firestorm 14V drill over the DeWalt 18V drill (I have two of each). One of the DeWalt units was dropped from waist-high onto grass and the chuck broke, among other things. Just curious--thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 09:55 PM
Never had a problem with any of my 14.4 DeWalt guns, other than just flat wearing them out. But then I have never dropped one from waist high onto grass either. 2 out of the 3 I own HAVE been dropped from 6' onto concrete, and other than a scratch or two, suffered no ill effects.

Old 06-05-03, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sears products with a 900 model prefix are also B&D/DeWalt.

I have one of their recip saws (Craftsman Professional) and I think it's a nice unit.

Old 06-05-03, 05:32 PM
jonathan_71730
Visiting Guest
drills

i knew black&decker/dewalt mergered if u find the answer on when plz let me know "just curious" however i've owned several dewalt/millwaukke however i got a 18v makita last year and it's been the best one i've owned .

Old 06-05-03, 09:08 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Im guessing it was 1992 when B&D bought them out. But I really have no idea. here is some dewalt history

http://www.dewalt.com/us/service/company/history.asp

Old 06-06-03, 12:36 PM
dhughes9996
Visiting Guest
B&D DeWalt

Here's the direct response from DeWalt (FYI). Obviously they neglected to notice my problem was with the DeWalt model not the B&D model, and offered no solution to the broken chuck. Thanks to those who replied.

Thank you for using the DEWALTŪ web site.
Black& Decker has owned the DeWALT company since the 1960's.
DeWALT ismore of an industrial line of tools, while Black& Decker is more home use items.
That is why you see the difference in performance and pricing.
Thank you.