Drills

Old 06-06-03, 06:02 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Drills

How do I compare Corded Drills to Cordless? I personally have a 6 volt cordless right now that my wife bought me when we first got married. On our last trip to Home Depot I was looking at a 9.6 volt cordless, and a corded one. How do I tell which is more powerfull? The cord is not an issue. I could use either one.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 09:55 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
If the cord is not a problem, go with a corded drill. It will always have the capacity you select without losing strength as the battery drains. A 9.6volt cordless is a good light-duty drill/driver. I use mine often for hanging light hardware, like curtains,etc. However, when I go into the attic, I want a fully-charged 18volt drill with me to tackle the job without going up and down for recharges. When I am working on something tough, I go for the corded drill.

Old 06-06-03, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
fjclaus:

You can't really compare a plug in drill to a corded one unless you specify which corded one.
My 9.6 volt Makita has about the same torque as my el cheapo, don't care if it smokes B&D.
A 12 volt drill might be a good compromise between power and bulk.
Although, I use my 7.2 voly Makita for service work and with an extra battery that can fit in my shirt pocket have not ever run out of steam.