Brad Nailers

Old 06-12-03, 04:36 PM
Brad Nailers

I currently own a Porter Cable 16 gauge finish nailer ( I love it) and have been shopping for an 18 gauge brad nailer. I was ready to buy a Porter Cable or Bostich when a Harbor Freight catalogue arrived with a Central Pneumatic Contractor Series 3/8" to 2" nailer listed for 39.99. So......any comments, observations or opinions on the name brands versus "Central Pneumatics" ?

Appreciate any and all comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 05:29 PM
$39.99 ? That would be my first clue.

Old 06-12-03, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Another way to go.

joeperi:

You can't beat quality except when you have to justify the cost.

Most of the tools I use in my day to day work are of a quality that reflects the time I spend using them.
My hobby tools however are almost exclusivly offshore with only a few exceptions. I have been able to amass a very large collection of air sanders, half a dozen impacts, pullers, lifts and specialty tools for a fraction of the cost of name brands.
The 2" 18g brad nailer I paid $29.00 CND for is $229.00 in a Bostich. I've run about 3000 brads through it in about a year with no problems.

Old 06-13-03, 02:41 PM
GregH and Chris, thanks for the feedback. Greg, your comments regarding "time I spend using them" was one I hadn't considered. I've started up a small remodeling business so I expect some high usage from my finish nailers. Quality needs to outweigh cost.
Thanks a lot.

JoeP

Old 06-13-03, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
joeperi:

You will make a wise choice buying quality if you make money with it.
The best will then be the least expensive in the end.

Old 06-14-03, 06:40 AM
I hope I'm not to late to reply. I spent 12 hours reloading my 'puter system, Arrrghhh.

I own one air harbor freight brad nailer. They are really low priced and seem to work just fine. However there is an important feature that you should know. The low priced air harbor freight nailers do not have a safety device built into the head of the gun. This means that if you are yanking the air hose around or laying the gun down, you can trigger the gun and it will fire, unintentionally, perhaps into your leg or anywhere.

With brand names (Porter, etc) , the gun will only fire when the nailer head if pressed against some wood, thus releasing the safety device.

And yes, I have accidentally fired my AHF gun twice while just laying it down. It got me to thinking how the money saved on the purchase of the gun, might soon be spent on a hospital visit.

I still have the gun, but don't use it much. I later bought brand name guns with the safety feature.

Old 06-14-03, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Lugnut:

My condolences on the computer problem.
Even with a new one, these problems are the story of my life.

I wonder if the safety on your nailer is missing or broken.
It is possible that the $29.00 brad nailer I own is similar to yours but comes with a safety. Also every cheap one I looked at had one as well. ]
I own a very old Bostich 2" stapler that the safety doesn't work.
It's like loading a rifle and standing in front of it!

Old 06-17-03, 06:30 AM
Sorry for the delay. I just discovered my email was not working and fixed it today.

The AHF nailer that I have, definately does not have the safety build in. It is about 5 years old. So I can't comment on other nailers by AHF. Mine was a really super cheap priced model which may make a difference.

Old 06-20-03, 11:56 AM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
i'd buy the Porter-Cable... I have a Porter Cable Brad Nailer.. BN125 (I think) and its great.. by comparison, I bought a cheap hammer drill from Harbor Freights once.. I figured I'd only use it once in awhile, so why spend alot of money on an expensive one.. well... the Hammer Drill broke after using it like 3 times.. and now i"m in the process of buying a new one, cause I need to use it for a project.

Tools are an investment.. if you buy quality and take care of them, they'll last forever and pay you back...

to quote an old woodworking instructor...

"I don't make enough money to buy cheap tools."

-sleepy floyd

Old 07-19-03, 11:47 AM
Many thanks to all of you for your comments and insights. I decided to opt out of the cheapo and instead went with the Bostich 18 gauge brad nailer. Have used it for a month now and love it. Again, thanks to all.