Keystone Air Compressor

Old 06-29-03, 01:49 PM
kk4rb
Visiting Guest
Keystone Air Compressor

I have aqquried a BIG Air compressor from an Auto Shop that closed up. It is a Keystone A/C it stand's about 51/2 feet. It has a Double cylinder's and it has a Oil case. Now here is my Problem!!
It did not come with a Electric Motor. (Burned up) some time ago. Nor did it come with a Regulator.
I need to know how to set it up complete with Wireing Instruction's? What size electric Motor. I know that it size will have to be 230 VAC. Once I put the motor on the Mount I need to know what to do from There.
Thank You
Emory kk4rb

Old 07-03-03, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Emory:

What you will need to do if you don't have the original motor and pulley is refer to the compressor manufacturers literature for the compressor pump.
There will be a chart that will tell you what pulley to use to get the right speed and how many HP it will take to do it. It will also state the CFM output at that speed.
Most compressor heads will have a range of output to allow the use of different HP motors to match the selected speed.

You have to watch because some shop compressors go as high as 7 1/2 hp which you may not want to have to wire up.

Old 07-04-03, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Emory:

If you can get a manufacturers name and model number off the pump itself I'll see what I can find.

Old 08-05-03, 02:09 PM
kk4rb
Visiting Guest
Bullwhip

I am installing a 18 HP Brigg's on my 80 Gal Tank. the compressor has an 18 inch pulley, what I would like to know is (2) thing's! How big should my pulley be at the engine shaft?
also could some one tell me where to purchase a "bullwhip idle control "bullwhip idle control?"bullwhip idle control
Thank's
Emory

Old 08-05-03, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Question More info please???

Emory:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'll take a guess.

You have an air compressor that has an 80 gallon air storage tank and want to install an 18 hp Briggs and Stratton to power it.
By "Bullwhip idle control" I assume you mean an air operated governor control unit.

If this is so then there is a lot of info needed;

Are you converting an existing electric compressor to gas engine power and if so what is the HP, rpm and pulley size of the electric motor?
What is the make and model of the compressor head and is it single or two stage?
What will this unit be used for?
Any other info you think would be usefull???

Old 08-05-03, 03:49 PM
kk4rb
Visiting Guest
bullwhip

Yes! It use to be a 5 HP single stage electric motor.it bit the dust. I do not want to buy a New Motor so I was going to use this Brigg's that I have. I just want to use it around the house Nothing special!(air compressor) I do not know the size of the pulley that was on the motor before it went out. This A/C was given to me and the Electric motor was already missing when I got it. I am guessing it was maybe 1750 RPM. It is a single stage compressor. The forman at the Electric Motor Shop that I went to told me that the Gas Engine would work fine Said all that I would need is a "bullwhip idle control" that is a Valve that goes into the Tank with a Throttle cable back to the Engine to control the Engine.
We have No Place around my small town that even know's what it is, Much less "Have it.
Thank's for the Email
Emory

Old 08-05-03, 04:44 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You also need a blow off valve to let the presure off when it hits maximum. With a gas motor you don't have the start stop switch to shut the motor off when maximum pressure is reached. This is not the same valve as over pressure relief valve.

Here is a link to princess auto catalog. On page 7 of the file(pg 113 as numbered at bottom of page) you will find an "air compressor governor/unloader" that supossedly does both functions.

http://www.princessauto.com/download...42/air-CAN.PDF

Old 08-05-03, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Talking Hey! Another Princess Auto fan.

Moderator note:

New thread merged with original thread on this compressor to make things easier to follow.
Please post here for this equipment.

The unloader/governer shown at the link joed provided is what I used when I built my gas powered compressor.
The unloader shown is half of what is needed though. A very small air cylinder is needed to actuate the throttle on the engine.
When the unloader is activated at the cut-out pressure a valve inside bleeds excess pressure to the air and at the same time applies pressure to a port that has to be connected to an air cylinder on the engine to slow it to idle speed.
The engine has to be on idle while the unloader is bypassing air because the amount of air that is bled off is not enough to keep the pressure from rising in the tank.
The sad part is Princess Auto sell the govenor but don't provide the air cylinder. I was told they do not want to provide all of it because of the fact it is somewhat dangerous if not hooked up right. (I got my cylinder years ago at Menaar's in Grand Forks ND.)

I'm afraid that this project is not as simple as just boltin' er on and lettin' er rip.
This could turn out to be an expensive, complicated and somewhat dangerous project if not done right.

When the question was first posted on this compressor I asked for specific info on the compressor head which is required to be able to help but didn't get it.
This is a most dooable project but I think it would be a lot less grief for you if you were to either buy a new electric motor or sell it and get a store bought compressor, especially if it's not needed for anything specific.

Old 08-06-03, 05:21 AM
kk4rb
Visiting Guest
bullwhip

Thank you for all the help!
Emory

Old 05-01-08, 05:34 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: Air Compressor Governor

I used the princess auto control and it came with everything. If you can wait for it to go on sale it would be nice but still at 69 bucks it comes complete with the throttle cable and is simply bolt on and go. I sold the last one and just picked up another one that needs repair and I'll just go get another one.

LoveToFix

Old 05-01-08, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums LoveToFix!

Just so you know this thread is five years old and hopefully Emory's problems are fixed.

Many people may not know about Princess Auto, my favorite place to shop which is similar to Harbor Freight in the US.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: