Table saw cutting blade

Old 07-18-03, 03:59 AM
brickki
Visiting Guest
Table saw cutting blade

What is the best type/tooth blade to use for the cutting of window mouldings? I intend on using a 10" table saw.

I've been replacing windows in my house and have needed to remove the mouldings in order to remove the old window and install the new window. The new window is about 3/8 deeper than the old window so I needed to remove the 3/8 from the sill and now I need to remove the same from the 2 side mouldings and top and reinstall. The 2 side mouldings are about 4' in length and the top is about 2' in length.

The house is old and there are several layers of paint.

Any suggestions would be great. Just don't want to damage them.

Thanks,
Brickki

Old 07-18-03, 04:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
My Two Cents

Hello: brickki

Since you know exactly what you are doing and do not need advice on the project, I moved your question to this forum. The question pertains to a tool which blades are more so than a wood working project.

Best types of blades for smooth cuts are those blades with lots of teeth. For the intended use you plan to use the blade for, any steel cross cut blade with as many teeth as possible will do well.

The resident professional and other members in this forum may have alternate suggestions. Check back here on your question several times.

Old 07-18-03, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
brickki:

I use a 60 tooth general purpose blade.
It is a fair compromise between a smooth cut and minimal burning.

Old 07-18-03, 12:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I prefer carbide tipped blades for every application. Cut clean and last a long time. For cutting wood with paint already on it, I would use an inexpensive Freud or other blade.

I bet there will be a different preference for everyone.

Old 07-18-03, 02:22 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
brickki,

You'll be about as many different opinions on "the best saw blade" as there are saw blades available for a 10" table saw! For what you are doing, I would use a 40 or 48 tooth blade for ripping, and a 60 or 80 tooth blade for cross cutting (but that would be getting done with a miter saw, not the table saw.

Get carbide -- don't waste your money on a steel blade. And keep the blade clean! If you notice the blade starting to be harder to cut with, or seeming to burn, or leaving fairly heave marks as it cuts, stop and clean it. (I use spay oven cleaner and wire brush it after it has set for about 5 minutes, then rinse it off with water.) After about 6 or 8 such cleanings, it's probably time to have the blade sharpened.

Old 07-18-03, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Red face Oops!

I meant all purpose carbide.
The one I keep on my saw for most uses is a 60 tooth
combination cross/rip blade.

http://www.woodnet.net/toolreviews/blad_rev.html

Old 07-18-03, 11:48 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
See what I mean -- you ask for "the best" blade, and you're gonna start a war!! I have blades from 14 tooth to 80 tooth for my table saw (and 24 to 100 tooth for my chop saw). They are all 10" blades, and all innerchangable. The "best" blade depends on what you are doing with it. The fewer teeth, the better for ripping. The more teeth, the finer the cross cut. That's basic. Then we get into tooth angle, tooth shape, hook, ...

For ripping oak, either my 20 or 24 tooth rip blade is great. But give me nothing less than my 60 tooth if I'm cutting melimine. You have to match the blade to the job you are asking it to do. No one blade is going to be perfect for everything!

Old 07-28-03, 09:00 AM
brickki
Visiting Guest
Thanks....

You Guy's really cut me up.

Thanks for all the advice and I see good points from all.

Thanks Again!

Brickki

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: