carbide die

Old 08-07-03, 10:54 AM
Rhaney2
Visiting Guest
carbide die

I need to know how to drill a hole bigger in a carbide bullet making die.
the hole is a .042 and i need it to be a .062

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-03, 08:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Rhaney2

I am in the tool sharpening business. As a vocation but I do have it as a part time business. I can sharpen tools but do not have expertise in the topic of your question.

With that in mind, to help you obtain the answer to your question, I am copying it into the tools forum.

Check on your question in that forum. I am sure there will be an expert to answer your question.

Regards and Good Luck. Forums Admin & Sharpening Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. "Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services."

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-08-03, 06:19 PM
You might want to contact a local machine shop or look for a Tool grinder shop, ie; someone who re-sharpens carbide endmills for the machine shops. To cut carbide you need to use a diamond grinding wheel, now if they have anything that small is a different story.

I went to a tool supply web site, MSC. Here is a link to the page I found the tool on that you could use, it is on the right side of the page. They don't have the exact size if I recall, but one that is smaller that could be use to open the hole up. I must tell you that it will still be hard to do without the equipment to hold the die and the diamond tool.

http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=839

Good luck

Old 08-09-03, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
If you are enlarging an existing hole and want reasonable acccuracy in the final opening you need to ream it out rather than drill it. A drill maintains its center with the tip. If you put a bit into a hole that is close to the bit's size it will wander.
With the proper tools this would be a snap but for one hole it may not be worth the cost.
A machine shop might be your best bet as comtnman suggested.