Kitchen Knife Sharpening

Old 08-13-03, 08:55 PM
jburd641
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Knife Sharpening

How would I sharpen a set of kitchen knives using the "file" that comes in the block with them?

Great forum!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-03, 07:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello jburd641 and Welcome to my Sharpening forum.

Knife sharpening can be done by hand and with a file that is provided with the set. The trick is to maintain the existing angle.

I cannot say exactly how this is accomplished without knowing the details of the type of blades and type of file or sharpening device supplied.

As a professional sharpener, I have highly specialized power machinery for every type of knofe and all the required steps it takes to do the sharpening.

Therefore, I cannot say specifically how you can accomplish this task without do damage to the knives. What I do suggest is practicing on some older knives to develope the skills needed.

Good quality and high quality blades can be quickly ruined if the sharpening is done done correctly. The entire blade must be even evenly across the entire length of the blade.

High and low spots will ruin the cutting ability. Honing will be required to remove burrs and fine sharpen in the final step.

Machines of generic types are available. They can do these tasks, provide good results, prevent most damages, etc. if you care to invest in one.

Trail & Errors, Practice & Patience makes perfect.

Regards and Good Luck. Forums Admin & Sharpening Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. "Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services."

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-19-03, 07:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not entirely positive but I think that you are supposed to use a 45 degree angle on the knife blade to be sharpened.

Old 10-27-03, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've been sharpening knives (as an amateur) for years. The best thing I've found is the "Lansky sharpening system". It's a series of stones, a knife holder which has different angles you can follow depending on what kind of blade you're sharpening. I can't do it justice here in my description, but it's a great system. Check it out.