Best power tools

Old 08-25-03, 08:33 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Best power tools

I am a new homeonwer and am in the market for some tools. I have currently purchased (or received) Skil, Black and Decker, and Ryobi. Out of those three I would say Ryobi is the best, but I don't know.

I don't need to make a living with my tools, but I want some that will last. I have a bunch of home imporovment projects and some remodling work planned. I want some tools that will live through this, and also for years to come. Been told that Ryobi is not for a lot of heavy work (whatever heavy work is).

Can anyone suggest some good tools that will last for years of moderate to heavy use (whatever that is. been told I am in that level) I am looking for a good brand, not just what I already own.

how does Ryobi compare to such brands as Porter Cable, Bosch, and DeWalt? Who (any brand) has the best tools?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-03, 09:14 AM
No one manufacturer makes the best tool of all types.

If you stick to contractor grade tools -- those from Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch, Panasonic (cordless drills), Makita, Hitachi -- you won't get a poor tool. However, each of these (especially Dewalt) makes several grades of tools. In general, you get what you pay for.

I would suggest that you get the best tool that you can afford -- but also try each tool in your hand. You will find that some tools will feel really good in your hand and others won't. Its important to get one that fits you. Also look at left and right handed tools (circular saws) -- it can make a difference on being able to see the sight line.

These are all comments regarding hand power tools -- but you can extrapolate to mitre saws, but a lot of other things (features, planned use, space that they take up, capacities) that come into play.

BTW, Ryobi tools have good performance -- and most that I have heard is longevity, not accuracy of performance comments. The contractor tools will last longer, and retain their "new" performance longer.

Bob H.

Last edited by rjhoffmann; 08-26-03 at 11:16 AM.