Vintage Delta Drill Press Question

Old 08-26-03, 12:22 AM
rocketman
Visiting Guest
Question Vintage Delta Drill Press Question

Howdy! I have a Delta combination drill press, table saw & planer that my grandfather bought new a long time ago (50's?). I have used this tool for a long time, but I have to part with it due to my divorce. I have been offered $150 for it, but I am not sure how much it is really worth. It has the belts, the saw attachments, a fence and a side-wheel grinder. Does anyone have a clue to what this bad boy is worth? Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

P.S. I have pictures of the Delta but had problems with posting them. Hit me at rocketman@snip.net for pictures.

Old 08-26-03, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Question More info please

Brad:

This is not what you asked but maybe there is a way of keeping this and satisfying the settlement. If it's a prized possesion it would be a shame to loose it. I'll buy it and sell it back to you.(Enough meddling. )

This is the only delta multi-tool I could find. What exactly is written on the tool. Name, model, s/n etc?

To have pictures show up here you have to have them hosted elsewhere and then provide a coded link. Right click on the picture and select properties. This is where I got the picture.

Old 08-26-03, 09:20 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
I frequent auctions, estate sales, flea markets, garage sales, salvage yards etc etc searching for tools for my personal collection and also for resale, which is a small part of my business. I have without any exaggeration bought and sold hundreds of power tools such as the one you described.

There are lots of books available about determining the value of old and antique or unusual hand tools - hammers, wrenches, etc - but almost nothing about power tools.

I hate to say it, but sentimental value does not increase the market value of family heirlooms and generational hand-me-downs. I don't intend to sound mean, but the fact it was once your Grandfathers doesn't matter.

All that matters, the only issues that can be considered to assess value, is it's brand name, it's age, it's workability, and whether or not it's intact - missing pieces or needing repair. In my experience values can also sometimes have a regional flair to them - less in heavily populated areas where many of the same tools can be found, and more in less populated areas with fewer of the same tool.

If your unit is 100% fully intact, and everything works, and it works right; the value - or selling/asking price IMHO 'around here' would start at about $200.

Old 08-26-03, 10:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yea, I'd have to agree with King on that....

That is why I save all of my dad's power tools (he died in 1988).

I even bought a Sears 1" Sabre saw for $8 because it was TOO good to pass up and in MINT condition. Not only that, had all of the books with it, new blades in the package and a cutting attachment.

1974/75 model, VERY well made!

The lady said, "Well, my husband said I have to get $10 for it" I said, "Been sitting here all day, no buyers. Fat chance of selling it now".

For $8 it was mine. LOL.

Old 08-27-03, 07:39 AM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
Brad:

My heart really aches for you. Having to sell a prized tool like that must really hurt. Keep the chin up.

I don't go looking for or advertise for used tools but I get plenty of them at my salvage yard. I have a big shed full of tools, and must say that they move quite well. Someone's always looking for a bargain, looking for start-up sets, or for something to add to their collection.

BUT used tools are and have always been a 'buyers market' and by that I mean that a seller never really recoups his investment or gets anyone to pay what he wants to get. That's just the nature of the beast. Some buyers will be trying to take advantage of you and make an insulting offer, others will offer what they can afford, and others will be willing to offer what they feel is a fair and equitable price but none of them will be what you feel is right.

I'll bet your machine is probably worth a whole lot more than the 150 you were offered, but in reality you probably won't get offered much more. Buyers rule the roost when it comes to used tools.

Good luck Brad - but the best advice you got was from Greg. Sell it to someone you know and buy it back when the dust settles.

Old 08-29-03, 09:23 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
i dont really understand. its an order to sell it? or you just need the room or money?

Old 08-29-03, 03:37 PM
rocketman
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for your advice. Your knowledge and comments are much-appreciated.

Millertime: Unfortunately, we have to sell our house (with the sweeeet basement) and I already moved into a trailer/mobile home (with no basement). Believe me, if I had the room, I wouldn't sell it. It's not so much that I was attached to it because it was my grandfather's but because it was so @#$% handy!

Greg: It says "Delta Milwaukee Homecraft serial AV5668" on one tag and "HDP126 Des. Pat. 148827" on another tag. The one that I have is different from the one on the picture that you posted. Mine is narrower and the drill press part makes it stand about 6 feet tall. About that offer, how far do you live from Philly?..........

Old 08-29-03, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Brad:

I live in north central Canada.
Put the coffee on, I'll be there shortly.

Can't seem to find yours.

Found this one with the interesting sideways drill press from 1929.

Old 08-29-03, 11:16 PM
rocketman
Visiting Guest
Now that is more like mine, except the motor is off on one side and the drill press kind-of hinges onto the top with a belt arrangement like an old Corvair to drive the spindle. Maybe I can talk my Dad into storing it for me - I really don't want to get rid of this press!!

Old 08-30-03, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Brad:

The value of your unit is more about what it's worth to you rather than it's cash value.
If you are able to store it somewhere I'm sure you will be happy you did.

Heck, you could even take it apart and store it in a closet.

Old 08-30-03, 07:28 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
I've been showing this thread and the great photos that GregH has posted to some of my regular customers that are really into tools - to serious collectors and to some walking tool encylopedias.

One of them has a 1920s era Delta multi-tool that still works and he also has a pretty good knowledge of Delta's history - founded by Herb Tautz in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and in his garage - where else?

Another customer of mine has several old tool catalogs, too many really, and he promised that he would look and try to check into the age of your model. He still hasn't gotten back to me yet, but his feeling was that your 'Homecraft' multi tool could actually be a model from the late 40s. According to him, they used to call their multi tools 'Home Workshops' then briefy switched to 'Homecraft' after the war, but then quickly switched it back. He added that the tool is worth at least 3X what you were offered.

Old 08-31-03, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Brad:

Here is a link to a PDF with vintage Delta from 1950. Yours is not shown so it could have been modified by someone or a rare one.
(Where do I send that $150.00. )

Someone has added some accesories but does this look like the drill portion of your machine.

Old 02-21-07, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deltashop Combination Tool

Brad, Rocketman, etc.- Hey, I'm coming into this discussion about 4 yrs late. My father owns a Deltashop Combination Tool (from Delta Homecraft Power Tools) similar to the one you described. It has a 34-500 8" Tilting Arbor Circular Saw (tablesaw), 37-110 4" Jointer, 11-120 Drill Press, and a 31-200 8 1/2" Disk Sander. He had someone ask about buying it from him, and my dad is wondering what it's worth. Our guess is that it's from the '50's- but not sure. It's in great shape, has ALL the paperwork, manuals, etc. What do you all think it's worth?

Thanks.
McLean

Old 02-21-07, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
McLean,

I think the answer to your question is in the posts above, basically whatever someone is willing to pay.
The range suggested is between 150.00 and 450.00
I saw one go at an auction for 125 cdn.

Old 02-21-07, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering what the going price is now, 3+ yrs later. I thought maybe between $400-500 USD, but I don't if that's a bit steep. I'd hate to see the thing go, with all accessories and paperwork, for $100-$200. You can't buy a new table saw, drill press, jointer and sanding disk for that kind of money or even double...

Old 02-21-07, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said, whatever someone is willing to pay.
If you think it is worth more than suggested then ebay would be a fair test of its value.

If you feel the most you could get for it would be unfair then it might be a good item to keep in the family.
I have a Nikon film camera with accesories my dad wants me to sell for him.
Fortunately it only takes up a wee bit of shelf space at my house. He is happier not selling it for less than he THINKS it's worth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: