circular saw flip becomes table/mitre saw...

Old 09-15-03, 04:57 AM
circular saw flip becomes table/mitre saw...

I just had to ask.... I have often wondered why no one has designed a hand-circular-saw to set upside down into a table so to become a quick table saw? Is this too dangerous? Would it kill the market on either of them? It seems so usefull.... I cannot figure out why. Don't you set hand drills into drill presses? Don't you set routers upside down and guide stock into them? And how about a chop or mitre from a precision-clamped in circular. Is that also too dangerous?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-03, 06:36 AM
Even though I have a table saw and radial arm saw, I built a homemade device to do exactly what you are talking about. I don't use it for any precise work or trim, just for when I don't want to cart my table taw to a work location. I drilled holes in the base of the circular saw I use for this application and attach it to the underside of a 3/4" piece of plywood I used to make the table. The old saw I use for this doesn't have a safety button you have to push before you pull the trigger and I just use a nylon wire tie to keep the trigger pulled. I turn it on and off by plugging/unplugging it. With a sharp blade and a little patience, it works pretty well.

As far as a commercially available kit, I've seen (in magazines and catalogs but never in person) a product called a radial arm saw kit.

Old 09-15-03, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
racket7:

I had seen what you describe for sale several years ago.
It was a "Workmate" looking thing that a saw or router could be mounted in. What struck me about it was how flimsy it looked.
The narrow stance it had made it seem like it would tip pretty easily.
At first glance it appeared to be a handy item but I think the hazzard aspect would make it risky to use.
You could do as txdiyguy suggested and make-up your own table but I think the safety aspect of that would outweigh the benefit.

I purchased the absolute bottom of the line Skill table saw as my portable and even though I need a 7/16" wrench to tighten the fence it was a very minimal investment.

Old 09-18-03, 11:27 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by GregH
racket7:

I had seen what you describe for sale several years ago.
It was a "Workmate" looking thing that a saw or router could be mounted in. What struck me about it was how flimsy it looked.
The narrow stance it had made it seem like it would tip pretty easily.
At first glance it appeared to be a handy item but I think the hazzard aspect would make it risky to use.
You could do as txdiyguy suggested and make-up your own table but I think the safety aspect of that would outweigh the benefit.

I purchased the absolute bottom of the line Skill table saw as my portable and even though I need a 7/16" wrench to tighten the fence it was a very minimal investment.
and I would be willing to bet it is safer, and easier to use than one rigged up from a skil saw.

also. you can set up a jig to make a sliding compound mitre saw out of your skil saw. this is probly the safest, and cheapest approach. if you are looking to save time. buy a real mitre saw.