oil type pancake compressor

Old 09-15-03, 05:48 PM
ricco522
Visiting Guest
oil type pancake compressor

I purchased a 2-HP, 4 gallon pancake compressor. Oil-type. There is a dip stick for the oil that does does not have any indicted rule that show the level of the oil in the reservoir. How much oil should their be in the reservoir for operation. The first time I ran the compressor, oil started spirting out around the dipstick. I initially put 30 weight motor oil in it. Is this OK? What are the acceptable oil types.

appreciate any help

Last edited by ricco522; 09-15-03 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-03, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
ricco522:

I'm not exactly sure on that compressor. The manual should have that info if you have it. If you don't then post the model and I'll see what I can find out.

You can use oil labelled for air compressors or 30 weight non-detergent motor oil. They are the same thing.

Old 09-15-03, 08:07 PM
ricco522
Visiting Guest
Pancake Compressor

The compresser is a buffalo tools brand name. Model ACOZ06, 2-HP, 4 gallon

Old 09-15-03, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
ricco522:

You added the fact that you put 30w motor oil in the compressor.
It must be non-detergent which will be written on the container.

Wall-Mart sells it if you can't find any.

I'll look for a manual.

Old 09-15-03, 08:49 PM
ricco522
Visiting Guest
Pancake Compressor

I have a manual. It says to pull out the oil ruler and fill to the stipulated level. The problem is, there is no indication on the dip stick that indicates the stipulated level. There are no markings on the dip stick at all. Is there a certain depth that the oil has to be maintained in the reservoir?

Old 09-15-03, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
ricco522:

There is no standard depth for the oil.
These compressors are splash lubricated, relying on something attached to the bottom of the connecting rod to pick up the oil and splash it around the crankcase.
The oil coming out of the dipstick was caused by having too much oil splashing around the crankcase.

Does the manual happen to say what the crankcase oil capacity is?

Depending how long the dipstick, is I would maybe try running the oil about 1/2" up on the dipstick.

Old 09-15-03, 10:36 PM
ricco522
Visiting Guest
Post Pancake Compressor

Looking at the dipstick, the bottom 1/2" of the stick is shapes like a "spin top". Then it becomes uniform up to the cap with an "O" ring at the top near the cap. I believe that this "spin top" shape could be the stipulated level as indicated in the manual. I now have the oil filled to a point that is about 2" above the spin top shape. Obviously, too much. I am going to drain the oil and make sure I replace it with the correct oil and fill the reservoir such that it is 1/2" up on the dipstick which will cover this spin top shape only.

Thank you very much for you persistence and help.