How do I chg a belt sander belt?

Old 09-16-03, 11:05 AM
jtspears
Visiting Guest
Question How do I chg a belt sander belt?

We "inherited" my grandfather's belt sander when he died and I'd like to use it, but I don't know how to get the old sanding belt off. It's a Craftsman 3"x21" belt sander, model number 31511721. I don't have a manual and I already searched the web and came up with nothing. I don't see any kind of lever or handle that will move to loosen the old belt. Any help greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-03, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Go to Sears.com. There is an exploded view and parts list. An instruction sheet is $4.99.

Old 09-16-03, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
jtspears:

If you go here you will be able to enter your model number as the_tow_guy suggested.

I looked and couldn't see a release lever.
You may have to turn screw # 49 - tracking screw to move the idler wheel enough to run the belt off under power.

Old 09-16-03, 01:01 PM
jtspears
Visiting Guest
I looked at the diagram and agree it must be tracking screw #49. Only problem -- it's rusted on as tight as can be!

Old 09-16-03, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
jtspears:

The most important thing is to make sure you have a screwdriver that is precisely the correct size.
Too loose and you will be looking for some vice-grips.
Also a repeated application of penetrating oil over a couple of days would give you the best chance of success.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-16-03, 01:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That machine is made by Ryobi for Sears. You may try contacting www.ryobitools.com and seeing what they can tell you.

I have had good luck with getting owner's manuals out of them at N/C by supplying the model and manual # from the Sears.com website.

Old 09-16-03, 03:02 PM
I had a belt sander once that didn't have a release lever. You put the sander up on the front roller and gave it a good push. The front roller popped back and locked so you could change the belt. Then you stuck a screwdriver in behind it and popped it back out.

Old 09-16-03, 03:12 PM
jtspears
Visiting Guest
THANK YOU!! That worked!

Old 09-16-03, 06:10 PM
Glad to help.